Dog with Droopy, Swollen Eye

by Kristina P.
(QLD, Australia)

her swollen eye

her swollen eye

her swollen eye
her swollen eye with the eylid pulled down
her healthy eye

We recently moved to Australia from Croatia - Europe 2 months ago. Our dog was one month in quarantine and lost a significant amount of weight (1kg) and dropped to 4kg only. Also, her skin was very dark and covered in bad scabs.

She has been out of quarantine 1 month now. She has regained the lost weight and her skin has cleared up completely.

Two weeks ago she got allergies. Every time she would go outside her eyes would swell up, the conjunctiva would go very red and she wouldn't be able to open her eyes.

We went to the vet, he put her on antihistamines (polaramine 2mg twice a day) and it seemed to help. She has been wearing an e-collar since because her eyes were itchy.

Last night I checked both eyes, everything was fine. We went to sleep, she had her e-collar on, and this morning when she woke up her left conjunctiva was very swollen. It wasn't red, normal pink colour just very swollen and her lower eyelid appeared droopy.

I took the e-collar off so she could eat breakfast. Unfortunately she had a good scratch at the eye and has made the skin around the eye very red looking almost like blood.

There doesn't seem to be discharge from the eye. Also, it is not teary (I put cream around the eye which my vet in Croatia had given me for her mother who used to scratch her eyes, this is why it appears wet on the photo).

She doesn't seem to be in pain, and doesn't touch the eye anymore. Since I am new here in Australia I do not have a good vet and do not want to take her back to the one I went to before as he insisted on giving her corticosteroids. Given the trauma she has been through her immune system probably isn't at it's best now and I feel that would just worsen the situation.

Could you please tell me what to do?

She is a 2 year old Australian Silky Terrier.

I've attached a photo of her healthy eye and 2 photos of her bad eye. On one of the photos I have pulled the eyelid down slightly so you can see the conjunctiva better.

Thank you!

Comments for Dog with Droopy, Swollen Eye

"My Online Vet Response to: Dog with Droopy, Swollen Eye”
by: Dr. Lisa Brienen

Dear Kristina, First make up a batch of strong green tea. Use this as a compress (make a square of paper towel and wet it) over the eyelid for a few minutes several times a day.

If you can find homeopathic remedies – These are the ones I would consider all in 30C potency: Arsenicum album – if she’s restless and thirsty
Nux vomica – especially if she’s grouchy and possibly if her nose is congested
Rhus tox – especially if she has a rash around the eyelid and she’s better from a warm compress

Mix one of these into ½ cup spring water. Stir before each dose. Give her 1 tsp orally (or a few mls from a syringe) every 6 hours for 3 doses. Stop if she is much better or becomes worse.

Start her on grape seed extract (proanthocyanodin) her dose is about 15 mg per day. Do not give her grapes. I’m not sure of brands in your country – Anti-ox 10 by Vetri-Science is one option.

There are a number of veterinary homeopaths in Australia – search this link to the International Association for Veterinary Homeopathy to see if any are close to you.

"Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below"

Sincerely, Dr. Lisa Brienen