Dog with Bulbous Eyelid Inflammation

by Robert A.
(Sylva, NC, USA)

My 11 year old Staffordshire Terrier has developed a bulbous inflammation on her lower eyelid. She has had these before but they have either fallen off or healed. This time though it seems to be prolonged.

I have used OTC astringent eye drops and wash cloths with a warm water/saline solution to the affected area to clean the mucus that issues from the area.

Any information that can be provided will be most helpful. Thank you.

Comments for Dog with Bulbous Eyelid Inflammation

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Bulbous Eyelid Inflammation

April 8, 2014

Hi Robert,
From the photo, your female 11 year old Staffordshire Terrier, has a benign growth on her right, lower eyelid. This looks like it could be an *adenoma* arising from the glands of her eyelashes.

It is not unusual for these benign growths to increase in size, and then fall off. In the meantime, it is so large it is rubbing on her cornea, causing her eye to produce the mucous discharge that you are continually cleaning. These growths seem to appear in response to being vaccinated.

At 11 years of age, I would advise that you do not vaccinate her anymore, especially with these growths she continues to form. Instead, seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for her.

Here are some suggestions for taking care of this growth:
1. Continue to clean the mucous, and rinse her eye with saline 3 times daily. After cleaning, apply 2-3 drops of Sweet Almond oil into her eye, as often as you are able. (every 4-6 hours if possible)

This will provide a protective coating for the cornea, and will help to decrease the formation of the mucous discharge.

2. Give her one dose of Thuya 30C one time per day for 3 days, then stop. Thuya, (sometimes spelled Thuja. And the full name is Thuya occidentalis), is a homeopathic remedy to remove the effects of *vaccinosis* and treat warts, growths, tumors, etc. It is available in small pellet form. About 80 pellets come in a tube. It is available online, or from Health Food stores.
You can give her one pellet per dose ONE time daily, for three days.

DO NOT TOUCH the pellets with your fingers.

Take the cap off the tube container, and then turn the end of the container, and drop one pellet into the cap.
Pick up the cap, and then pull out her lower lip near the corner of her mouth and just drop the pellet into her cheek.
She will either swallow it, or spit it out. Either way, if the pellet touches her mucous membrane, the homeopathic remedy, which is on the surface of the pellet, will be absorbed into her system.

It will take about 3 weeks to see if there is any response to the remedy.

DO NOT give her another dose, until you send me an update on how she is doing.