Dog with Blood Filled Zits That Pop Open

Blood filled zits (red bumps) after cleaning

I have a Dogo Argentino and about 4 days ago I noticed some bumps on his back and thought it was bugs or something minor. Sunday noticed blood spotting on his coat where some of the bumps were.

Did a medicated bath. Monday noticed they were not getting better and gave him a Epson salts w/lavender soak. That normally relieves minor skin issues.

Talked to my vet figured it was an allergy to new food with some staph infection put him on TMZ and a shot of DEX. Today it is horrible!! Like blood filled zits popping open all over his back. Immediately went to vet. They have not seen anything like this.

So we shaved the skin, did skin scrape sending it to the lab. He is On 2 different antibiotics “2 different shots” - one is for 4 days max and the other is penicillin.

Keep it clean and put Silva dine salve. We are treating it as if it were MRSA Until we get labs back. I will be going nuts waiting - these are my kids!

Have you seen anything like this? Please anything I can do to help would be great.

Also giving plain yogurt, organic coconut oil in his food. And a small splash of apple cider vinegar in their water bucket. I like natural whenever possible. I worry about all the strong meds.

In the pics you can not see because it has been cleaned but each or the red bumps are like blood filled zits and they just pop open.

Thank you,
A very worried mom

Comments for Dog with Blood Filled Zits That Pop Open

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Blood Filled Zits That Pop Open

July 5, 2014

Dear Worried Mom,

From the photo you sent, the 'skin' infection still appears to be *superficial*. Although, with stronger and stronger antibiotics, and other drugs you will cause his *disease* to go deeper.

In my opinion, the cortisone injection was the determining factor that tipped the balance to suppress his immune system and trigger more eruptions to appear. I do not know if this all started with an allergic reaction to food, or if it has been a gradual weakening of his immune system from vaccinations, or from flea/tick preventives, or other??

It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things already, here are some more suggestions.

1. NO MORE VACCINATIONS. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption for him.

2. NO DRY Dog Food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider a RAW diet for him. Keeping in mind whatever food allergies he might have, and avoid those foods. (Do not feed RAW PORK or RAW FISH). According to Dr Richard Pitcairn, in his book 'Natural Health for Dogs and Cats', "raw meat does not cause the same allergic reaction that cooked meat does".

His book also has recipes that you can follow for food allergy problems.

3. Vitamin C-- When given in high doses Vitamin C acts like a natural antihistamine and will boost the immune system. RAW meat contains Vitamin C. (But your Dogo Argentina may need more than what comes naturally in the meat.) Make sure you are giving the BUFFERED form of vitamin C, NOT ascorbic acid. This is TOO acidic for a dog's stomach.

Check out Mega C, http://www.belfield.com/megac226.php

This comes in a powdered form, and can be easily mixed into his food.

4. Bathing-You have already shaved him. So, that will make it a little easier. Use a baby shampoo, (this will not dry out his skin, and can be used one to two times per week), followed by a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse. (Rinse off the shampoo, then a second rinse with the apple cider vinegar.

You can use 'straight' apple cider vinegar as needed on his back, in between his baths.

5. T-Shirt-Having him wear a clean white cotton T-shirt may be necessary to prevent him from causing more trauma to the skin. And will help to keep him clean. Change T-shirts every day.

6. Homeopathic Remedy for his Vital Force- He will need a homeopathic remedy for 'vaccinosis'. Thuya, Sulphur, Silicea, are a few remedies that may be helpful. A holistic veterinarian will be able to examine him to decide the best one to use.

Just from the photo, I suggest that you start with Silicea 6C or 12C. Give him one pellet by mouth, THREE times daily for the first 3 weeks.

When he starts the homeopathic remedy, then you will be able to decrease the 'conventional' medication. Hopefully, then he will start on the path to healing.

- See more at: http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-infections-allergies.html#comments

it is MRSA

it has been confirmed. he was not getting better after 2 weeks of TMZ so we have taken him off all medications started all raw diet with probiotics and EFA. Did another scraping and sent it to the lab, should hear next Wednesday. PLEASE what else can I do for him. he gets 2 hydro 'Water" rinses a day and a spray 1 a day. PLEASE I am desperate to help him.

July 24, 2014

Dear Worried Mom,

Have you started to add some of the immune support, like Mega C to the raw diet?

Also, having him wear a clean white cotton T-shirt may be necessary to prevent him from causing more trauma to the skin. And will help to keep him clean. Change T-shirts every day. Continue the bathing.

He will need a homeopathic remedy for his Vital Force. This will be for 'vaccinosis'. Thuya, Sulphur, Silicea, are a few remedies that may be helpful. A holistic veterinarian will be able to examine him to decide the best one to use.

- See more at: http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-infections-allergies.html#comments - See more at: http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-with-blood-filled-zits-that-pop-open.html#sthash.sS6u2bT2.dpuf