Dog warts on lower lip and inside mouth

by Sarah

About three weeks ago,I noticed a small bump on my dog's lower lip and thought I'd keep an eye on it for a few days. After a couple of days, as it grew larger, I made an appointment with the vet.

He said she has canine papilloma virus and upon further inspection, found two additional smaller warts inside her mouth. He said it was very common in younger dogs, especially puppies, and the best advice he could give was to do nothing.

He said we should continue life as usual, and the warts would eventually go away on their own. He said taking her to doggie daycare and the dog park would not be an issue.

It's been three weeks since that appointment and about one month since I noticed the first wart. Yesterday the doggie daycare facility asked me about it when I picked her up and informed me she cannot return until the warts are completely gone. I told them what the vet said, but they said they have to stick to their rules, which I understand.

This morning the main wart is larger than ever (for some reason I am unable to attach a photo on this site from my ipad) and it's really starting to concern me.

Should I go back to the vet and see if he will remove it? Is there anything I can do to help it go away?

They don't seem to bother her at all, but it just looks like it hurts and I hate the fact she is "grounded" from doggie day care as she loves the interaction with other dogs so much. Note: she is my only pet and we live in a condo without a fenced yard of any sort.

So, I am writing to get a second opinion from you regarding her case. The largest wart is about the size of a marble, the second wart, which is in the gum line and harder to see because it's black/same color as her gum, is about the size of a pea, and the third one is quite small and hasn't seemed to have grown very much - if at all - in the last three weeks.

Here's a little more background...

I adopted her about 6 months ago. She was a rescue, so I don't know her exact age, but the vet thinks somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. She looks to be a mix of lab, American bulldog and pit bull (and some say boxer?). She weighs 45 lbs, is very good natured and has lots of energy.

I enrolled my dog in doggie daycare shortly after I got her, and she spends two to three days a week there while I am at work. On Saturdays and Sundays we go to the local dog park so she can run and play. She is very friendly and loves to play with other dogs, especially puppies (chasing, play-fighting,etc).

Thank you in advance for any help/recommendations,
Sarah

Comments for Dog warts on lower lip and inside mouth

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Warts on lower lip and inside mouth

Hi Sarah,
Your veterinarian is correct. Oral papillomas (warts that occur in young dogs in or around the mouth) WILL go away, but it will take 3-6 months. See our page on Dog Warts to learn about Warts vs Papillomas.

Your doggy daycare has 'banned' your dog due to the conventional belief that these warts are caused by a contagious virus. This virus is spread to other dogs by direct and indirect contact. It is not contagious to humans, but to dogs that are young with an immature immune system.

Perhaps an alternative to doggy daycare could be a friend's house with a mature dog for a playmate, while you work. In the meantime, boost your own dog's immune system with the following suggestions:

1. Healthy diet: NO dry dog food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

2. Caution with any future vaccinations. It may be a reaction to vaccinations that triggered the appearance of these warts in the first place. Vaccines certainly wreak havoc with the immune system.

3. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for more specific homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis'.