Dog warts on head and front limb

by Kristine

Warts on my dog's head and front limb - should I be worried?

A few months ago I noticed a bump on my 9 year old chihuahua/terrier mix. At first I thought it was a bug bite (she loves to play outside in the backyard) so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

A few weeks later I noticed that the bump was still there (which is on her head) and then I noticed another one near her front limb. Of course I panicked and did a bit of research online. I read that warts can be common among older dogs. So is this what my dog has?

The demeanor of my dog hasn't changed... she is still hyper and loves to play and run around, her appetite hasn't changed (we feed her Royal Canin and BilJac dog food) and she gets plenty of water.

If it is at all possible I would like to treat whatever she may have with natural remedies. I once had a dog that had terrible reactions to medicines from the vets.

However, if you think she may have something more serious I will of course take her to the vet.

Thank You,

Comments for Dog warts on head and front limb

My Online Vet Response

Hi Kristine,
The photo you sent of the bump on your dog, (I am not sure from the photo if it is the one on her head or her front leg), does look like a wart. If it is growing rapidly, (like doubling in size over 2-3 weeks), bleeding, or causing itching, then it may be something more serious. Otherwise, it is not dangerous.

Warts are benign skin growths, they are common in dogs as they get older, and are commonly caused by too many vaccinations. In some cases, warts are seen soon after (sometimes a few months) a vaccine has been given.

Taking her to a holistic veterinarian, especially one that practices homeopathy, would be the best treatment to help get rid of these warts. There are several homeopathic remedies that are useful, to treat 'vaccinosis' and also 'chronic disease'. A holistic veterinarian is not just treating the warts but your whole dog. See our site under Alternative Dog Care. Our Dog Vet Care page will show you how to find a holistic vet in your area.

You should also improve her diet. Royal Canin is ok, and it should be canned. Biljac is not so good (See our top 10 dog food page for other recommendations). You should also feed some fresh meat and steamed vegetables every day, with some fruit for treats. Some safe choices would be slices of apple, cantalope, or raw carrots.

Thanks Dr. Tillman for the great advice on dog warts!

Will liquid vitamin E help?

I have a yellow lab with a similar appearing wart on the top of her head and one small one inside her ear. No habit changes. I read on another naturopathic vet site that the vitamin E would help or caster oil. Any thoughts?
Thank you

The lab is a very healthy 11 year old often mistaken for 6-7, lives in country and still catches moles and rabbits. she does take thyroid Rx since a very young age.

Re: Last Post
by: Administrator

Hi Sandy,

For new questions, please sign up for My Online Vet by clicking here.