Dog wart, papilloma or something else?

by Samantha

near his shoulders on his back

near his shoulders on his back

I'd like to know what kind of growth - dog wart, papilloma, or something else - is shown in the above photo, what I can do to rid my dog of these, if possible, and if they present a health problem for him.

I've found 3 in the last 9 months; the one pictured is the most advanced. It started as one nodule 6 to 9 months ago, and in the last month or two developed a second, and now yet another, third nodule. All are on his back, starting from up by his neck to above his tail.

My dog is an 8 1/2 year old 8 pound malte-poo who lives in a 4 level townhouse with frequent trips to the beach where he can run free and in a yard. Otherwise, most of the time he gets either short (around the block) or medium-length (1-2 mile) walks in our neighborhood daily.

He eats Organix adult crunchies with pumpkin and metamucil added to reduce his need for anal gland expressions (sometimes as often as every 3 weeks, mostly a month and a half or more apart). I do his grooming, as his hair grows.

Comments for Dog wart, papilloma or something else?

My Online Vet Response for Dog Wart, Papilloma, or something else?

Hi Samantha,
From the photo you sent, that is a dog wart. It is a benign growth, and it is common for dogs over the age of 5-6 years old to develop them. A 'papilloma' is a growth caused by a virus, and is more commonly seen in younger dogs, 6 months to 2 years of age.

In holistic medicine, both warts and papillomas are considered to be related to a syndrome called 'vaccinosis'. Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, the doctor who developed homeopathy in the 1700's, recognized this in humans and considered it a miasm and called it 'Sycosis'.

Therefore, taking your dog to a holistic veterinarian to be treated would be the ideal way to take care of these 'warts'. See our page on what to expect from a holistic veterinarian.

Surgical removal is not advised, since more will grow back. Also, it would be a good idea to avoid unnecessary dog vaccinations. And, I would suggest discussing your options with a holistic veterinarian, for an exemption form for a rabies vaccination until your dog is healthy and free of 'vaccinosis'.

Transitioning to a healthier diet, NO DRY food, would also be healthier for your dog. See our page on the 10 Best Dog Food Options for information and recommendations. This may help decrease the frequency of needing the anal glands to be expressed.

And your exercise routine for your dog sounds great!!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on here: