Dog Wart on Right Front Leg That Dog Chews On

by Robin Wood
(Vista, CA)

My dog developed this wart on his right front leg. At first it was small, but he has started to chew and pick at it to the point that sometimes it bleeds. It seems to have grown, but I don't know if it's just swollen due to his chewing on it.

The wart is flesh colored and does not show any signs of black or discoloration except for when it bleeds due to his chewing on it. It also seems like it itches.

I started putting on Vitamin E today as I read that can help.

He is an over 11.5 year old Husky mix and is showing signs of his age. He's very stiff and avoids the other animals as they seem to stress him out.

I am concerned that traveling to the vet or even removal could cause him to have a stroke as he is scared to death to travel in the car.

Any info you can give is appreciated.

Thank you,

Robin

Comments for Dog Wart on Right Front Leg That Dog Chews On

My Online Vet Response for Dog Wart on Right Front Leg That Dog Chews On

Hi Robin,
Yes, you are correct. This is a wart, and it is common for older dogs to develop these benign growths. If this one is located over a joint area, he may be licking it because it is located over a painful joint, either arthritis or other problem. Making the wart bleed and become irritated will cause it to itch even more. And if the joint is painful, he will continue to lick the area not allowing the wart to 'heal'.

A few suggestions:
1. If he is overweight, you must start him on a dog weight loss diet. This is the BEST way to help relieve the pain on his joints and back. (A RAW dog food diet would be the healthiest for him. No DRY DOG food.)
2. Add Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate Supplements to his diet. At least 2,500 mg-4,000 mg daily.
3. Add Omega 3 fish oil for dogs to his diet. 1,000mg to 2,000 mg daily. This will help his joints and his skin, acting as an anti-inflammatory.

(continued in my next response below)

(continued from previous post)

Here is the continuation of my response...

4. Clip away the hair that is surrounding the wart, and clean it twice daily with hydrogen peroxide.
5. Apply 1x ointment to the wart TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks. This may help to shrink the wart.

Ideally, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian who does house calls and could prescribe a 'constitutional' remedy for him would be the best option.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Warts, Cysts and Strange Growths Section,
- Dog weight loss diet