Dog Urine Is Darker and Has Blood

by Paul B.
(Watauga, TX, US)

red and inflamed dog vulva

red and inflamed dog vulva

Within the last week my dog's urination frequency has increased by 3 times. When I let her out at night she will seem to urinate well over 15-20 seconds 3-5 times around the yard. When she comes back in she licks her vulva.

Then tonight I finally have seen that she is not actually urinating. She just urinated in the kitchen with us working in there... it was dark compared to her normal yellow color and also has a small drop of blood in the puddle.

She then whimpered as normal to let us know she needs to go out. That's when she attempted/strained to urinate several times and I looked closely to see if she was going and she was not. Looked at her vulva and it is distended and reddened.

Any OTC medications to try or do we need to go to vet?

She is a Bichon Frisé, age 8, female.

Comments for Dog Urine Is Darker and Has Blood

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Urine Is Darker and Has Blood

Hi Paul,

There are some over the counter products that may be helpful for your little girl, if she has a bladder inflammation.

She may also have some vaginitis, along with the 'cystitis' (bladder inflammation). In which case she would need a veterinary exam to check her vaginal canal. Another problem to be considered is a foreign body such as a foxtail lodged in her vaginal canal. (Which can be removed during an office visit at the time of the vaginal exam.)

The BEST course of action is to take her in for an exam, and submit a 'first morning' urine sample to check for crystals, pH, white blood cells, etc.

Bichon breeds are notorious for forming crystals and stones in their bladder, so it would be a good idea to have her checked out first before using over the counter products. ALSO, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian, to counsel you on diet suggestions, or other supplements, such as cranberry concentrate and switching her to a Raw diet, might also be helpful for improving her overall health.

- Dog Urination Problems & Dog Incontinence Products
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Urination Problems Section