Dog Swollen Eye

Picture of dog swollen eye

Picture of dog swollen eye

One of my dogs (7 year old female Lhaso) had her lower left eye swollen when I got home from vacation last night. It doesn't seem to bother her much or slow her.

She eats organic dog food -- salmon and sweet potatoes and carrots for dog treats.

Comments for Dog Swollen Eye

My Online Vet Response for Dog Swollen Eye

Hi,
From the photo you submitted of your 7 year old Llasa apso's eye, it is actually NOT her eye that is swollen, it is the gland of her third eyelid. This condition is commonly called 'Cherry eye'.

It can be caused by the gland becoming swollen, and therefore more prominent and visible, or the gland remaining the same size and the 'cartilage' inside the third eyelid becoming weak and allowing the gland to emerge over rim of the third eyelid. It is difficult for me to tell which is occurring from your photo. The condition is not painful, and conventional veterinarians will suggest surgical removal of the gland.

Holistic veterinarians work to address the dog's whole being, her 'constitution', to correct the imbalance in her health that may have lead to this happening. In some cases it can be due to too many vaccinations.

In either case, surgery is not the best answer, since this gland is responsible for 30-40% of the tears needed for the cornea. If the gland is removed it may lead to a condition called 'dry eye' (kerato conjunctivitis sicca).

I would suggest finding a holistic veterinarian closeby to work with to treat your dog.

Her diet sounds good. Perhaps checking into a raw diet might be needed for her. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for some suggestions.

In the meantime, applying 2-3 drops of into that eye, three times daily for one week, may help to soothe the mucous tissues and provide Vit A to the area to help heal it topically. But her eye should be checked by a veterinarian to make sure that there is nothing more serious occurring.

most helpful
by: linda

your article really helped me pin point what my mastif has in his eye. I just started putting col liver oil in his eye but it does not seem to hurt him.

I will see if there is improvement with this treatment if not i will find a holistic vet who does not rush into surgery.

thank you so much for your helpful information.

linda

Cherry Eye
by: K. May

My little 3 year Doxie looks to have a Cherry Eye (Swollen Gland in Corner of Eye) just to have appeared out of no where.. Wish I knew what kind of Dog Eye Drops to buy for her..?? Want her better ASAP! She does not act or seem to be in any pain at all from it. Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated!! Thanks!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Swollen Eye

October 25, 2014

Dear K. May,

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Regarding the same.
by: Mikia

My 7 lb 2 1/2 year tea cup has develop the same swollen gland of her third eyelid. I was wondering what drop you recommend while they locate a holistic veterinarian

February 20, 2015

Dear Mikia

Use sweet almond oil drops or artificial tear drops, just to keep the mucous membranes moist.

You will need to apply every 2-3 hours.

Here is a list of holistic veterinarians: