Dog Suffering from Chronic and Severe Diarrhea

by Bob Leary
(West Seneca, NY)

Rugby

Rugby

My almost 13 year old Australian Shepard named Rugby has suffered from chronic severe diarrhea since November. He was taking the arthritis medicine Deramaxx. I stopped the medicine and when the diarrhea continued I took him to his Vet.

The vet ran blood tests and urine tests, all of which were negative. She prescribed a medicine called Metronidazole and then had me switch dog food to Hills i/d, but to no avail.

I then started feeding him nothing but chicken and rice but his symptoms continued. I then visited another Vet for a second opinion. She ran the same blood/urine tests and got the same negative results. She prescribed Ciprofloxacin HCL and Tylan powder, but Rugby seemed to have an adverse reaction to these medications so I discontinued their use.

Next I tried Gaxtriplex from Throne Research but that makes him throw up globs of white mucus.

Can you help poor Rugby?

Comments for Dog Suffering from Chronic and Severe Diarrhea

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Suffering from Chronic and Severe Diarrhea

Hi Bob,
What a GREAT photo of Rugby! And, that is good news that he is 13 years old and all blood tests and urinalyses have come back normal!

Did the diarrhea start with the Deramaxx? Did any other changes occur, for example, did he also receive a vaccination at the same time?

If the diarrhea is due to an adverse reaction to the Deramaxx, and it sounds like he is VERY sensitive to medications and supplements, since he did not do well with Ciprofloxacin and Tylan, and reacted badly to Gastriplex from Thorne Research, then he will need the remedy Nux vomica.

The homeopathic remedy Nux vomica is indicated for individuals who have adverse reactions to medicine. Give him 6c or 12c potency, either dry pellets or you can dissolve ONE pellet in 2 oz of Spring Water, succuss (hit the bottom of the bottle against the palm of your hand 20 times) the remedy before giving 1/2 dropperful, by mouth, to Rugby TWO times daily for the next 2 weeks.

He will also need to be on a bland diet, which you did, of chicken or turkey with cooked rice, small meals 3-4 times daily. You ALSO need to add Acidophilus into each meal to recolonize his gut with beneficial bacteria.

Rugby should have 1/2 - 2/3 a human dose of Acidophilus. You can purchase it in capsule form, and open each capsule and add it to the food. He will need to be on Acidophilus for 3-4 weeks.

A holistic veterinarian can also give you more detailed instructions by monitoring the progress of the homeopathic remedy specific for Rugby. (When to increase the potency, or change remedy, etc.)

For future care, it seems that Rugby might do better with acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, or chiropractic, to help with his arthritis!

- Dog Diarrhea Medicine,
- Dog Constipation Symptoms & Treatment,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Diarrhea, Constipation and/or Digestive Problems Section

Thank you
by: Bob Leary

Dr. Tillman...thank you for your advice. I will try it immediately and let you know if Rugby gets better. And yes... the diarrhea did start with the Deramaxx. Initially it was a squirting diarrhea and now it resembles canned pumpkin.