Dog Snuggle Bed : Finding the Most Appropriate & Reviews by Category
The best dog snuggle bed is a private, clean place where your dog can feel comfortable and relaxed. And for each dog and proud owner that will mean something different.
In order to choose the right dog bed, you must consider:
After taking both perspectives into account (don’t worry, we’ll help), you can move on to our recommended dog beds by category.
Due to the benefits of natural and organic dog supplies, we recommend beds with natural materials when possible, including cotton, feathers, wool or kapok.
Note: Not all bed types that we review are organic or natural due to the nature of some of the types (therapeutic beds, for example).
Dogs are the single most diverse mammal species on the planet, and their sleeping spot should match their type. We’ll get into the details of each bed type bed further down the page.
First, look at sleeping through your dog’s eyes:
- Do they really need the king size or is a smaller bed more appropriate?
- Do they like to curl up, or are they more of a sprawler? High wall, bolster or deep beds will make they feel warm and cozy while the good old-fashioned mats, pads or mattresses give them a lot of room.
- How do they act? If biting and digging is in their nature, you may want to steer towards the chew resistant material.
- If they have trouble getting around, they will probably need a bed that’s close to the ground. You may even need to go one step further and take the orthopedic / therapeutic dog bed or heated dog bed route.
While your dog's comfort should come first when choosing a bed, there are several factors to consider after finding the right type...
Like anything else, you get what you pay for when buying a dog bed. Prices range anywhere from $20 to hundreds of dollars, which usually correlates with the bed’s material, construction quality and novelty or customization.
The most common materials used in dog beds are:
- Cotton, or better yet, organic cotton which has been grown pesticide-free and in richer soil that is not overused or depleted of its minerals.
- Polyfil varies in quality from high-end high-loft fibers to basic store-bought. Different types are available, including cedar-scented and fibers made from recycled materials.
- Baffled Polyfil beds are made up of interlocking poly-filled tubes. The support in these beds tend to remain more uniform than regular polyfil.
- Foam provides solid support with depth and durability. There are both standard and orthopedic foams, and they are usually the best choice for older or arthritic dogs.
- Kapok Fiber is hygienic, hypoallergenic, odorless and breathable. As a result of being naturally resistant to mold and decay, no pesticides are used in its production.
The complexity of construction also directly affects price. Standard pads and mats will be less expensive than those dog beds with more intricate or durable design.
Where do you keep your dog bed and how much room do you have? Would a corner dog bed make sense or does your dog have a big enough space to support any kind of bed?
Do you travel with your dog? If so, you will either want to buy two beds or do your best to balance portability along with comfort.
There are countless styles of dog snuggle beds out there, from patterned to personalized to boutique. From your basic dog mat to a four-post bed, you name it and it’s probably out there.
Browse each of the following categories and subcategories then click the links to check out our recommendations for each. Keep in mind that many of the categories overlap.
- Standard Dog Beds - these are the most common types of dog beds and include:
- Dog Air Beds & Dog Travel Beds
- Indestructible Dog Beds (for the hard-core options)
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed (for the not-quite-as-hard-core-and-a-little-more-comfortable options)
- Corner Dog Bed - guess where these fit... you got it, in the corner of your dog's favorite room! Great space-savers, and still super comfy.
- Raised Dog Beds - especially good for larger dogs. Also keeps your dog up and off of cold, hard surfaces.
- Therapeutic Dog Beds - good for puppies as well as aging or arthritic dogs. Also great for those of you in areas with more extreme hot or cold weather.
- Heated Dog Bed Reviews - good for dogs living in very hot or very cold plances. Also a good orthopedic option.
Standard dog bed types include the following - these links will jump you down the page to each category's recommendations...
Classic mattress-style dog beds come in all shapes, styles and materials. If your dog is a fan of sleeping in bed with you, these will provide a nice alternative.
Price: 119.99 - 159.99 depending on size
100% hemp, eco-friendly beds are extremely durable, mildew-resistant and pre-shrunk. "Green Fiber" fills these cozy beds. Made in the USA.
Big Shrimpy Planet-Friendly Original Beds
Price: 94.99 - 153.99 depending on size
Stylish, functional and eco-friendly, these terrific beds are filled with 100% recycled fiber. Big Shrimpy beds have a water-resistant outer cover that also resists dirt.
Bolster dog beds provide an elevated padded area either completely or partially around the bed. They are great for dogs who like to curl up or feel cradled.
|Bolster Dog Bed Recommendations|
Price: 63.99 - 159.99
Organic cotton cover fabric is stuffed with recycled fiber fill made from recycled plastic bottles.
Price: 61.99 - 139.99 depending on size
Filled with 100% recycled material scraps, these beds provide instant comfort and style. Machine washable.
Designed with supporting walls and a removable center cushion, this bed will give your pet the perfect place to curl up into a ball for a cozy sleep.
Good for both pet friendly travel and home use, dogs mats and pads can turn a favorite corner or spot into a much more comfortable resting place.
Do you believe in holistic pet care? If so, please tell your friends about us with a Facebook like, Google +1 or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
For additional research, search for your topic...
In the spirit of full disclosure, we wanted to let you know that we proudly support this website through advertising and affiliate marketing. In other words, when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we often earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or affiliate relationship. Click here for more info.