Dog Skin Rash in Stomach and Hair Loss on Tail

by Patricia

My Long haired dappled dachshund has a skin rash on his stomach area. The area is bald with small raised bumps almost like a wart. The skin is dry and scaly. There is no fluid or draining and the area is not red or inflamed.

He also has hair loss on his tail.

He does not bite or scratch the areas so they do not appear to itch.

Are there any products to purchase for what seems like dry skin? He is 6 years old and neutered.

Comments for Dog Skin Rash in Stomach and Hair Loss on Tail

My Online Vet Response for Dog Skin Rash in Stomach and Hair Loss on Tail

Hi Patricia,
Without a photo for reference, I am only guessing as to the problem. But from what you describe, I would be concerned that your dachshund may have low thyroid, or hypothyroidism. The only way to diagnose is to do a blood test.

It would be best to see a holistic veterinarian, one that can see your dog and determine (with a blood test), if he is hypothyroid. Then they can suggest supplements, hormonal medication, shampoo, etc. You should also check our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a change to a raw dog food diet.

If he is not well, I would be very cautious with any future dog vaccinations. Low thyroid conditions are sometimes due to autoimmune conditions directed against the thyroid gland. And some specialists, like Dr. Jean Dodds, in Irvine, California, consider vaccinations to be the cause of these autoimmune conditions.