Dog Skin Rash Has Moved to Underside and Legs

by Nicole
(San Diego)

Dog Skin Rash Photo 1

Dog Skin Rash Photo 1

Dog Skin Rash Photo 1
Dog Skin Rash Photo 2

I first noticed a problem with my dog's skin on Sunday. After a little research I realized that she had hives. Her fur was raised out in nickel and quarter size spots, as I looked underneath the fur to see her skin, I noticed red spots.

I gave her some Benadryl and an oatmeal bath, the spots and raised bumbs went away. I gave her more Benadryl yesterday morning just in case. When I came home from work she looked fine and was acting normal.

The whole time she has not been lethargic, acting in pain, or itching and scratching​. It was as if she had no clue there was a problem.

I didn't give her anything last night as I thought she was getting better. This morning the rash has moved to her underside, all over her belly and inside her legs. It doesn't look like the hives from Sunday.

I haven't changed her diet or shampoo. She doesn't have a big yard to run in so she gets walks in the neighborhood.

She's never had a reaction like this before and her environment hasn't changed.

I just bought K9 Advantage instead of Frontline because I heard Frontline hasn't been working. I haven't put the Advantage on her yet because I didn't want to make the rash worse.

I did notice her bite at her leg as if she had a flea, but after looking through her fur I couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

She is a five year old pittbull boxer mix.

Comments for Dog Skin Rash Has Moved to Underside and Legs

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Skin Rash has Moved to Underside and Legs

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hi Nicole,

From the photos and the events that you have described from Sunday, I am suspicious that this rash on her underside is 'remnants' from the same allergic reaction that she initially had two days ago.

And I am suspicious that it is an 'allergic' reaction since she did respond to the Benadryl.

I do not know what triggered this in the first place, and the appearance of her red skin was so sudden that I suggest she take the homeopathic remedy Aconitum 6C or 12C 3-4 times daily.

oatmeal shampoo is also excellent to give her some relief. You can bathe her 1-2 times per week, for 2 weeks or longer, until this rash clears up.

And, although it is NOT holistic, consider repeating the Benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per lb by mouth 2wo to 3 times daily.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian should help her in the long run.