Dog skin rash, excessive sleeping, tight muscles

by Natalie
(Jersey City ,NJ, US)

On my dog's belly from the lower mid-area down to her hind legs (and a few on the face and mouth) are these patches. Some are just red or bald, some are scabbing. They are also on the vaginal area and there are a few on her face and mouth. She is a mix of English Bull and Pit.

The rash seems less severe as it grows toward the chest of the dog, but it weakly re-culminates in the facial area. She also is very itchy and scratches her face and lower body a lot. She sleeps excessively.

At around 11pm the dog is getting more and more tired. She is fast asleep and drifts in and out for hours. She's very jumpy when touched. Several times she will try to stretch her legs but repeats it up 20 25 times in a row. Then she falls into deep sleep but is easily woken up.

Her eyes are as red as her and her ears are in attention pose all the time. When brought outside she's hard of hearing. When let off the chain she runs then returns with a mass amount of saliva dripping out of her mouth. As she has hard times breathing hours she is also drooling.

A little loss of weight has also happened over the last month.

Thanks for your help,

Comments for Dog skin rash, excessive sleeping, tight muscles

My Online Vet Response for Dog Skin rash, excessive sleeping, tight muscles

Hi Natalie,
You did not mention when the rash started, but from the photo and your description of her overall demeanor, she is VERY sick.

Please take her in to see a veterinarian ASAP. I am very concerned about a possible auto-immune disease called thrombocytopenia that causes a loss of platelets with bleeding under the skin, chronic fevers, weight loss and weakness.

Searching for a holistic doctor would be ideal, but a conventional doctor can make the diagnosis with a blood test.

Click here to find a local holistic veterinarian.