Dog Skin Lesions

by Jennifer

My dog began scratching ears raw 2 weeks ago, until bleeding ulcer started. Now, area scabs then reopens (dog in cone, so can't scratch), ear edges are rough and serrated in appearance, tiny bumps visible on inspection. Area starting on second ear.

Started bathing dog w/ sebhorrea shampoo( treating As possible dermatitis/ seborrhea/psoriasis) yesterday & noted flaking, scaly patches around her eyebrows today. Inner ears had small amount of dark brown, thin wax, but not "granulated" in appearance. Shakes her head a lot, but could b r/t cone.

Eats well, stool normal, behavior fine, no s/s of pain.

Litter type, food type unchanged. No new treats/ such. We DID move, & brought her outside before this occurred, & 1 yr ago, she had a "hot spot" created from a supposed grass allergy.

She is a 5 year old chihuahua, primarily indoors, uses litter box.

Any idea?

Don't really want to pay $200 for vet to tell me my dog can't play in grass!

Comments for Dog Skin Lesions

My Online Vet Response for Dog Skin Lesions

Hi Jennifer,
Without a photo, I will only be able to give you some educated guesses on what is causing your Chihuahua's skin lesions.

Considering the severity of the itching, that she is scratching until her ears bleed and that it is spreading ear to ear and to her eyebrow area, my first guess would be sarcoptic mange. See our page on dog skin diseases from parasites for more info. She may have contacted the mites in your new home. Diagnosis is done by a skin scraping.

Other causes of severe itching may be from inhaled allergy, contact allergy, food allergy or flea allergy. Factors that may have triggered her susceptibility include recent vaccinations or stress. See our section on the effects of dog vaccinations and stress for more on this.

If her diet has not been sufficient to maintain a healthy immune system, she may have developed an autoimmune disease, fungal or yeast infections, which affect the ear margins, eyelids and other muco-cutaneous junctions (where skin meets mucous membranes). A veterinarian would need to examine her and possibly submit a culture for a diagnosis.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be best... not only to determine the diagnosis, but to treat the problem in the healthiest way possible so she will be able to heal, be even healthier than she was before and not be susceptible to the problem again.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: