Dog skin lesions on leg, chest and underside that start with a white crust on top & come and go (Part 3)

by Gina Frias
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

Another thing I also recently found while brushing his teeth is this weird growth on lower lip.

I forgot to mention previously that he had two different encounters one was in April with a Puerto Rican Boa who bit him and since we did not know if it was poisonous or not Vet decided to inject him with Dexametasone. The second encountered was in June with a poisonous toad he tried to kill. The vet injected him with Atropine that time.

I would like to say both incidences happened in the new house this year. Before that my dog has never visited the vet for anything else except routine annual checkups.

Can these things be related?

(Click here to jump back to Part 1)

Comments for Dog skin lesions on leg, chest and underside that start with a white crust on top & come and go (Part 3)

My Online Vet Response for: Dog skin lesions on leg, chest and underside that start with a white crust on top & come and go (Part 3)

Hi Gina,

Here is my response to Part 2-regarding the lesions between the toes. I am not sure that I sent it to the correct link the first time.

Hi Gina,
Here is my response to the 'weird' growth on Kila's lower lip...

From the photos you submitted it appears to be a small benign wart-like growth, like a 'skin tag'. It will probably go away without treatment in a few months.

I do not think the incidents with a boa or a poisonous toad caused the growth to appear. Nor was the medical treatment that was given to him a reason for concern (the treatment probably helped reduce any toxic effects!).

Please keep us posted regarding Kila's skin problems, by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Update on growth
by: Gina Frias

It has gotten smaller but hasnt gone away completely.

Hi Gina,
March 11, 2013
You wrote that "the growth on the lip has decreased in size but is still present".

I did not note the date when you first noticed it. Has it been 3 months? Also, how does the rest of his skin look?

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

Skin
by: Gina

Definetely has been more than 3 months. Skin in the other hand looks great!

My Online Vet Response For: Dog skin lesions on leg, chest and underside that start with a white crust on top & come and go (Part 3)

Hi Gina,
4/2/2013
"Definitely has been more than 3 months. Skin on the other hand looks great!"

Considering that the growth has decreased in size, AND that the skin looks great, I would just wait longer. Keep monitoring it month to month. As long as it is continuing to shrink, or just stays the same size for the next year without causing any problems, I would not worry about it.

If you give any vaccinations, that may make the growth bigger or cause more to appear. Therefore, you must be very cautious with any vaccines.