Dog Skin Irritation with Red Spots on Part of Belly

by Maria
(Jersey City, New Jersey)

I went to the groomers yesterday and then I took my dog out for a walk. I didn't notice the small red spots until night time.

He had a longer coat before so I do not know if he has had this for a while or not.

Is there something I can do to treat it? Do I have to see a vet immediately? It is only a part of his belly, nothing on the rest of his body.

Comments for Dog Skin Irritation with Red Spots on Part of Belly

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Skin Irritation with Red Spots on Part of Belly

October 22, 2014

Hi Maria,

From the photos you sent, I cannot tell if these red spots are raised, such as pimples, or flat such as a ruptured blood vessel under the skin.

If they are raised, and represent pimples that have 'popped' and formed scabbed areas, this is a superficial pyoderma. Similar to a 'diaper rash' in a human baby. It seems to occur more commonly in young dogs 6 months to 2 years of age. This is treated with weekly shampoos using a baby shampoo, rinse and dry well. Making sure the diet contains enough moisture, do not feed DRY DOG food. Feed canned or consider a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

After 2-3 weeks, if the skin is NOT improving, he may need some immune support:

"He had a longer coat before so I do not know if he has had this for a while or not."

A longer haircoat can contribute to this problem if it is matted, or stays moist. Therefore regular grooming will help to prevent it from recurring. Provide adequate moisture in the food, and supporting his immune system, will also help.

If these red spots are FLAT, such as a bruise to the skin, then I am concerned this is a more serious problem, such as an auto-immune condition.

"Is there something I can do to treat it? Do I have to see a vet immediately? It is only a part of his belly, nothing on the rest of his body."

I would advise that you see a holistic veterinarian for treatment, if this is the case. Auto-immune problems, such as Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia, Pemphigus foliaceous, Thrombocytopenia, are all conditions that may appear as 'bruises' under the skin, and start in the abdominal area first.

I am also concerned that this may have been triggered by a recent vaccination. A study done a few years ago, showed the small breed WHITE dogs are at higher risk for vaccine reactions, (adverse reaction), http://www.powershotsmn.com/downloads/DogAdverseVaccineReactionsJAVMA05.pdf.