Dog Skin Allergies, Hives and Redness

by Tanya B.
(SLC, Utah)

After my dog Bruno's 3rd set of vaccinations, which included a new shot for Lyme disease, he broke out in hives. I took him back into the vet and was told to give him Benadryl.

They still weren't going away a few days later so we went back in and got a steroid shot which cleared them up for a few days and then they came right back.

After having them for a week or so they started to look really infected and crusty, so in to the vet we went. I was told he had acquired a bacterial infection and was again given antibiotics and an ointment to clear up the bacteria. Which it did, but it did nothing to help with the hives.

They have gotten progressively worse. They started out only on his hind legs and now they're all over his belly and front armpits, and along with the hives his skin gets bright red.

Some mornings it seems like they are clearing up but then we go outside and they flare back up. So with this happening I'm assuming he is allergic to something outside, but I don't want my dog to be drugged his whole life and end up getting even sicker from the medications they will put him on. But I also don't want to shelter him and drive him mad with boredom. I want him to be able to enjoy life and be healthy and happy!

It doesn't seem like his hives make him super uncomfortable but he does get really itchy and he bites at his legs once in a while.

I started using lavender oil diluted with coconut oil and that seems to help. I also bought a product from a local pet health store called Septiderm-v by NaturVet and using that in conjunction.

He eats Blue Buffalo puppy formula, and I have recently started adding coconut oil and fish oil to his food.

I have stayed up for hours and hours reading things on the Internet and trying to find a natural solution to these stupid allergies. I believe in holistic health so I don't believe that this has to be a life long struggle. I want to find the cure for him. And I will not give up.

Bruno is a 4 month old male Boston Terrier. I got him at 8 weeks old from a breeder and he was a healthy puppy besides a minor cold that was treated with antibiotics.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and I sincerely appreciate what you do.

Best regards,

Comments for Dog Skin Allergies, Hives and Redness

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Skin Allergies, Hives and Redness

June 12, 2014

Hi Tanya,
"After my dog Bruno's 3rd set of vaccinations, which included a new shot for Lyme disease, he broke out in hives.... gave Benadryl.

They still weren't going away a few days later so we went back in and got steroid shot..."

From the photos you sent and the description of his skin problems and when they started, I suspect he now has the syndrome called, 'vaccinosis'. Which is any illness that starts after having a vaccination.

You are correct that continuing with antihistamines, antibiotics and steroids is not healthy for Bruno at this young age! (or any age, for that matter!) Here are some alternative suggestions:

1. Use the homeopathic remedy THUJA 6C or 12C, TWO times daily for 2-3 weeks. Thuya occidentalis (from the white cedar) is a very good remedy for vaccine related problems. You can buy it at health food stores, and it can be given dry, one pellet into his mouth, TWO times daily. Or in a liquid form, by putting one pellet into a 1 oz or 2 oz glass eye dropper bottle and fill with Spring Water. Give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily. SHAKE OR SUCCUSS, the remedy 20 times by hitting the bottom of the bottle against the palm of your hand before each dose.

2. Bathe him one to two times per week with Johnson&Johnson Baby Shampoo, to remove surface bacteria.

3. Spray his skin everywhere he is red, with Rescue remedy. Use the 'human' Rescue Remedy, and add 20 drops to a 4-6 oz pump spray bottle filled with Spring Water. This will help to 'calm' down his skin. If he licks his skin, it will also help to calm him down.

4. NO DRY Dog food. See if the Blue Buffalo comes in a canned form. Consider feeding canned and/or a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, It is ok to continue the coconut oil and fish oil in his food.

5. NO MORE VACCINATIONS! Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for him.

6. Immune supplements: Bruno may also need to have some immune support, if the above suggestions are not helping.

Send me an update in at least 3 weeks, or sooner, if you are having any problems locating the correct homeopathic remedy.