Dog Sebaceous Carcinoma Surgery Alternative

My dog is a 12 year old neutered male Siberian husky. He had a growth above his left eye which grew quite rapidly. It seemed to itch and it bled when he scratched at it. Our veterinarian recommended surgical removal.

It was removed in November 2013. The histopathology showed that it was sebaceous carcinoma and excision was complete.

I am including the comments from the pathology report listed under Microscopic: a multilobular, unencapsulated epithelial neoplasm extends from the dermis to the subcutis. Surface of the mass is ulcerated and inflamed. Neoplasm is comprised of basaloid reserve cells, intermediate cells and sebaceous cells that have a disorganized lobular arrangement. The lobules often have central cystic degeneration and are supported by fibrous septa. Nests of neoplastic cells have provoked a desmoplastic reaction along tumor edges. There are small foci of lymphatic invasion. Narrowest clean margin is 1.5 mm. Excision is complete.

I recently noticed that he has another growth in the same area. This one is not bleeding and inflamed yet. Our vet wants to removed this growth surgically. She didn't do a needle aspiration because it might not be conclusive.

I have done my best to photograph the growth (see pictures above). It is covered by fur and not easily viewable. It is 13 mm in diameter.

I understand these types of growths are likely to recur so I am wondering if there is any type of remedy other than surgery.

Comments for Dog Sebaceous Carcinoma Surgery Alternative

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Sebaceous Carcinoma Surgery Alternative

April 25, 2014

Hello,
In response to your question about your 12 year old male neutered Siberian Husky, who already had one growth removed in November 2013, you wrote,

"I understand these types of growths are likely to recur so I am wondering if there is any type of remedy other than surgery."

Yes, there are other treatment options! I suggest you use the homeopathic remedy THUYA 12C or 30C. (full name Thuja occidentalis)

Dissolve one pellet into a 2 oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. Give him 1/2 dropperful TWO times daily for at least 3 weeks. Depending on his response, we will need to make adjustments,in the dose accordingly. (Increase the potency, decrease the frequency, or change remedies.)

NO MORE VACCINATIONS

Vaccinations will trigger the appearance of these growths/tumors. And it was probably a vaccine that he had in the past that caused the first one to appear. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to stop vaccinations.

He should also be on a diet with NO preservatives, no by-products, no artificial colors. A RAW diet would be best, but if you must compromise check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And try to decrease the amount of DRY DOG FOOD that you are feeding him. Cancer cells thrive on carbohydrates, so if you can feed more protein, fresh vegetables and limit grain, dry food, etc. that would be the healthiest.

Try one of the following three supplements to boost his immune system:

follow-up

I have been giving my dog the thuja (30C) and Immuplex for a month now and also modifying his diet. The growth continues to enlarge. He has been vomiting more than usual although this could be unrelated as he has always had a touchy stomach. Is there something else I can try before resorting to surgery? I don't want to wait until the growth has gotten too large as it is right above his eye.

follow-up

Hello,
Thank you for the update. When there is minimal response to the remedy, it is necessary to take in more details about the patient. Since, in holistic medicine, we are treating MORE than just the *sebaceous carcinoma*, we are treating your whole dog.

Examining your dog 'in person' is the best way to gain a better perception of your dog's "constitution", something which I cannot do via email.

" The growth continues to enlarge. He has been vomiting more than usual although this could be unrelated as he has always had a touchy stomach"

Vomiting more than usual, could be due to the gradual change in his diet, or due to his 'constitution' having a touchy stomach. In which case, he may need the remedy Nux vomica.

At this point, I think it best to find a local holistic veterinarian to 'fine tune' the homeopathic prescription, either to increase the potency to a 200C or change to a more appropriate remedy, such as the Nux vomica.

In the past month, I am not sure how much the growth has enlarged, (double in size? or just slight enlargement?) but in my opinion you should search for a holistic veterinarian before resorting to surgery.