Dog scratching with red, swollen and bumpy skin

by Lesley
(Penticton, BC, Canada)

Our Yorkie terrier Jesse started scratching a lot about a month ago. But she has always scratched quite a bit.

Two vets, of a few that we have tried, suggested that - because she primarily scratches the forward part of her body - she may have environmental allergies. We learned early on that lambs skin does make her scratch more.

We have tried different herbs in trying to help her normal level of scratching, but nothing really has helped. One intuitive suggested it may be our carpets that she is allergic to.

So about a month the scratching got a lot worse. And under her front arms things got really red and swollen and then it broke out further in a rash across her chest. And also along part of her spine bumps appeared.

We took her to two vets - one is a holistic vet and she gave us some things - a homeopathic called Allergen, a spray called DOUXO Calm Micro-emulsion. I stopped these after two days because things were getting a lot worse not better.

Instead I started putting cotton soaked in colloidal silver on it during the day and night (we've kept it wrapped in a tensor bandage except for walks as otherwise she scratches and licks it. At night I put infrared light and blue light on it.

It started getting better - the one side healed, the rash healed, the bumps along her spine went away. Just the one side is being really stubborn. So then I found your website and I switched to putting really good quality aloe vera on it and she no longer let's me use the light on her.

Any help would be great!! Thank you so much for this service. We are very much a holistic household.

Comments for Dog scratching with red, swollen and bumpy skin

My Online Vet Response for: Dog scratching with red, swollen and bumpy skin

Hi Lesley,
From the photos you submitted of your little Yorkshire Terrier, Jesse, I fear that she may have a combination of CONTACT allergy, INHALED allergy (called Atopy) and possibly food allergy.

It is rather common for terriers to be susceptible to allergic 'dermatitis' conditions of all kinds.

The PLAN:

The first step is to make her more comfortable and prevent her from doing any more damage. The second step is improving her health so that she is NOT so susceptible to allergies. The third step, a more in-depth constitutional workup should be done by a holistic veterinarian to prescribe a homeopathic remedy.

Step 1:

1. Oatmeal shampoo - 1-2 times per week.

2. Make her wear a 100% white cotton baby T-shirt at ALL times to help prevent self trauma
(you may need to purchase a few T-shirts so she can wear one, while you are washing the other)

3. Apply Calendula ointment or a good product that contains it to the open wounds 1-2 times daily to help them heal (Calendula is important in helping gaping wounds heal)

4. Give her diluted Rescue Remedy, both by mouth and apply some on her skin, to 'calm' down her skin.

Use the Rescue Remedy 'original' in alcohol, and put 10 drops in a 2oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. You can give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth AS NEEDED when she is anxiously itching/chewing/licking, etc.

Also, put 20 drops into a 4 oz plastic pump spray dispenser, and fill with Spring Water. Store this bottle in the refrigerator, to keep it cool, and use it to spray it on her skin whenever she is itching.

Step 2:

5. DIET. NO DRY DOG FOOD. She should be on a canned or RAW dog food diet. SOr you may consider a 'home made' hypoallergenic diet for her. Check out Dr. Richard Pitchairn's book, " Natural Health for Dogs and Cats."

6. OMEGA 3 fish oils - add 100mg to each meal two times daily.

7. NO MORE VACCINATIONS. Vaccines can affect the immune system, and small breed dogs seem to be particularly affected and 'sensitive' to the effects of vaccination. In fact, inside every package of vaccine is an insert that says, "To be administered to healthy animals only." With all of her allergies she is NOT healthy!

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Scratching with red, swollen and bumpy skin PART TWO

Hi Lesley,
Here is the continuation of my response.

Step 3:

8. All of these suggestions may provide a small amount of relief, but you should also seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a more thorough 'holistic' work up, to prescribe a 'constitutional' homeopathic remedy.

Update on Jesse

Wanted to first thank you for your very helpful advice. We used the calendula cream and the baby cotton t-shirt was such a blessing.

We did take her off dry food totally and only fed her real food. Her scratching lessened a little.

Thought I'd share something that we just accidentally stumbled upon with Jesse.

After a few more months, we decided to try a really simple diet and fed her only wild salmon for a month. Her scratching did come down quite a bit ... closer to her 'norm' which was still excessive. We were very thankful for this change though.

After the month I decided to purchase some dog food for her, to give her a break, while we decided what to try next. I decided on Orijen Brand, their 5 fish one. After 3 days of only eating this food her scratching went way down, now it is probably normal compared with other healthy dogs. Wow. This completely perplexed me and was totally unexpected.

On the fourth day, we happened to watch a new documentary 'Genetic Roulette'. I had no idea of what was happening to farm animals that are being fed GMO food (yikers big time) and the science that had been done showing how toxic and dangerous GMO's are.

Then two mentions were made:

1. someone talked about the pets today and how so many of them are getting allergies and scratching themselves raw and

2. a few others talked about what is happening to children and the connection with autism and gmos and the gut. All said how pets and people start to get better very shortly after stopping the GMO insult.

So... that peaked my curiosity and I wondered if Jesse's scratching had something to do with GMOs in her diet.

I looked at the ingredients on the Orijen, and because it is grain-free, it didn't look like there were any 'direct' gmo's in the food. So then I emailed them asking if any of the animals used in their food were fed a GMO diet. They responded immediately saying that ALL their products and also the ACANA brand have no GMO's in them, nor are the animals used fed GMO foods.

While the salmon we had been feeding Jesse was, of course, no GMO ... I think it was too much for her (we had an intuitive vet once tell us salmon would not be the best for Jesse) and so while it knocked back the scratching to her normal level ... it was changing her food to a dry food (who woulda thought) that had no GMO's.

Now I'm busy emailing all the treat companies etc trying to find out what I can feed her!

Just thought you might be interested in this potential issue, as I know so many animals today are suffering with allergies and excessive scratching.

It is such a blessing to have Jesse at this place of normal scratching (better than she has been her whole life)... and such a long journey to find what helped her.

Thanks for all your help and best wishes for the Holiday Season.
Lesley

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Scratching with Red, Swollen and Bumpy Skin

Hi Lesley,
Thank you for sending us an update on Jesse. That is GREAT that you have done so much research on your own, and continued to improve her diet to help her. You are correct that GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms)and genetically modified food sources are NOT healthy for us or our pets!

Please continue keep us posted.

Update on Jesse
by: Lesley

Hi,

Just thought I'd give an update.

We discovered two things in this journey: 1. When we changed Jesse's food to being non-gmo (no genetically modified organisms) her scratching was reduced by 1/2 ... and we could stop using the baby t-shirts as her scratching was not to the point of causing open sores.

However her normal level of scratching persisted, which has always been more than what would be considered normal. Then a vet told us she finds that a lot of small dogs have a tendency to be allergic to red meat. Jesse' diet consists of raw organic bison and raw organic beef. We cut out all red meats.

If we stick to the dry food we found that is non-gmo and non-red meat she hardly scratches at all. When we add in some cooked organic chicken or cooked wild salmon she scratches a little, but it is minor.

When we happen to give her something that MAY contain gmo or has red meat in it, her scratching returns.

I've started now giving her 2x week some probiotics which I mix in a bit of water and feed to her away from food through a syringe. Her breath has cleared up and I'm hoping over time that this will improve her gut - as Genetic Roulette points out that the GMO's are harming are guts.

Thanks so much. We really appreciated your service and all the gems given to us to help us get Jesse through this experience!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Scratching with red, swollen and bumpy skin

Hi Lesley,

Thank you so much for the update on Jesse. I am glad to hear that she is doing so much better.

"Jesse' diet consists of raw organic bison and raw organic beef. We cut out all red meats....
When we happen to give her something that MAY contain gmo or has red meat in it, her scratching returns."

It sounds like you may need to contact a holistic veterinarian to find a homeopathic remedy. Hopefully, this will help to restore Jesse back to complete health.