Dog scratching but can't see anything wrong with skin

by Cathy

About a week ago our dog Jax started scratching in several different places on his body. I could not find any scrapes, spots, fleas, ticks, welts or inflammation on his skin.

Hi is a 2 year old brindle color beagle/boarder collie that we adopted in May of this year. He has had all his shots, been neutered and also has insurance and a microchip.

Thank you for any information. Cathy C.

Comments for Dog scratching but can't see anything wrong with skin

My Online Vet Response for: Dog scratching but can't see anything wrotn with skin

Hi Cathy,
Regarding Jax, 2 year old Brindle Beagle/Border Collie male/neutered, adopted in May. He was vaccinated at that time, and started scratching about 1 week ago--"several different places on his body." He has no eruptions, no lesions, and no parasites visible.

Considering all the itching, I would suspect allergies. Diagnosis in all dermatology cases (including allergy) is determined by location:

1. If mostly bottoms of feet, legs and underside, then it is due to a contact allergy.

2. If tops of feet, legs, corners of mouth and around eyes and ears, then it is due to inhaled allergies.

3. If mostly ALL over body--not legs or face, then I suspect food allergy.

4. If it is mostly the lower back, rump area, backs of thighs, and under tummy, then it is a flea allergy (even if you have not seen any fleas).

In the meantime, to help give some relief, you must improve the diet (whether food allergy or not). NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food options and especially consider a RAW diet.

He may need homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis' triggered by the vaccines given 3-4 months ago.

You can use Rescue Remedy (dilute 10-20 drops in 4 oz of Spring Water) in a pump spray bottle to spray on the areas he is itching.

Bathe one time per week with an oatmeal shampoo for 3-4 weeks to help give relief.