Dog - SARD - Sudden Accute Retinal Disorder - Treatment Options?

by Mike/Pam
(Plainfield, N.J.)

Connor, our male 6 1/2 year old boxer, has just been diagnosed with SARD (Sudden Accute Retinal Disorder). Right now, he's probably 80% blind and degrading quickly.

Are there ANY treatment options that may either slow this process or help him in some way to prevent total blindness?

His diet is pretty balanced. He eats Merrick dry kibble. He's had an issue where his stomach produces too much bile and we were told by the vet to add cheese (usually a mild shredded cheese) with his Merrick to help neutralize this bile issue.

Please help?! Thanks! Mike

Comments for Dog - SARD - Sudden Accute Retinal Disorder - Treatment Options?

My Online Vet Response for SARD-Sudden Acute Retinal Disroder-Treatment Options

Hi Mike and Pam,
For Connor, unfortunately there is nothing that will cure his blindness. However, homeopathy may offer some hope. You will need to find a holistic veterinarian in your area to help.

There are numerous homeopathic remedies that are useful for retinal degeneration. You should also be providing Connor with the right dog dietary supplements, such as omega 3 fish oil (one to two thousand milligrams per day) and IPlex, a product specific for the eye made by Standard Process (give Connor one twice a day).

In addition, make sure there is plenty of moisture in his diet (NO Dry Food), and consider a raw natural dog food diet.

AVOID vaccinations.

You mentioned that he had a condition where his stomach produced too much bile. The LIVER produces bile. The stomach can produce too much hydrochloric acid (this is what can cause stomach ulcers in humans).

If Connor has a liver condition, then start him on milk thistle, 8 mg/lb 2 times daily.

For the hydrochloric acid, all dogs produce 10 times more HCl acid than people do. So, I am leery of the suggestion to add a dairy product like cheese into his diet. I would suggest acidophilus for his digestion, though.