Dog rash started as a few red spots that spread, now hair loss all over body

by Jennifer Dumas
(Rockingham, NC, USA)

My dog has a rash that we suspect is mange. He has had this for a little over a month. The rash started out as a few spots that were red and caused Browser to lose hair.

We weren't sure what it was but he was chewing his way out of his pen so we thought he was getting scratched. Anyways, we bought a product called Banixx and used it for a while until it was gone. The spots started to spread and that is when we thought it may be mange.

Everyone was saying a home remedy was burnt motor oil and that it would clear it right up. We used that and it did not help at all.

Over time Browser (an English bulldog mixed with some other type of bulldog) started getting a little worse and then all of a sudden over last week he started losing hair all over almost overnight.

We ordered a product from a company called Naturasil that consist of a herbal shampoo a lime sulfur dip that you mix with the shampoo and some vitamins. We used that on Saturday and it seemed to help some but I am really worried. He looks bad and I am scared he is going to die or something.

I need to know what exactly it is he has and how to treat him so he gets well soon. Thank you!

Comments for Dog rash started as a few red spots that spread, now hair loss all over body

My Online Vet Response for: Dog rash started as a few red spots that spread, now hair loss all over body

Hi Jennifer,
Just from the photos you have submitted of Bowser, I am very suspicious that he has Demodectic Mange-the Generalized form. This can be fatal. See our page discussing Demodex.

Since it has spread this much in ONE month, you must take Bowser to a veterinarian ASAP. A Holistic vet would be preferable to confirm the diagnosis and to start treatment.

He may need to be on 'conventional' treatment initially, such as Ivermectin and Mitaban dips. And it is imperative that you begin with supplements to support his immune system (That is how he became susceptible in the first place!) He will need ALL of these...

Also, get him OFF of DRY DOG FOOD. Feed him a RAW dog food diet.

And DO NOT give him any more vaccinations. You must have a holistic veterinarian write him an exemption form.

Reply

Thank you so much for your help! I have ordered the immuplex from online and I am looking into the mega c powder to order it as well. I am going to research the bravo diet and purchase what's necessary. In the meantime I have switched his dog food to pedigree wet dog food that is for skin and coat. We plan on taking Browser to the vet on Thursday when I have the morning off. I sure hope this helps. Once again, thank you!

Hi Jennifer,

You are very welcome! Our best wishes for Bowser to get well soon!!

Please keep us posted.

UPDATE

Just wanted to give you an update. Browser went to the vet last week and they did confirm mange. They dipped him with mitaban dip and gave him a medication to take by mouth everyday for a month. He is starting to look a lot better. He has some cold around his eyes but he is on a multi-vitamin and seems to be recovering pretty well.

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you so much for the update. Generalized Demodex can be a VERY serious problem. I am so happy to hear that Bowser is responding to treatment.

And with your immune system support, improved diet, I do hope he has a very speedy recovery and NO relapses!!

Please continue to keep us posted.

- How to Treat Dog Mange