Dog Rash on Stomach

by Heather Sparks
(Poteet,Texas, USA)

My Yorkie is a 5 months old female. She has a rash on her lower stomach: it is red, in the shape of circles, and where she scratches (she scratches a lot) the rash has turned white.

Is there anything I can put on it?

Comments for Dog Rash on Stomach

My Online Vet Response to Dog Rash on Stomach

Hi Heather,
From your description of the rash on her lower stomach: it is red, in the shape of circles, and where she scratches, she scratches a lot. This is caused by a bacterial infection.

It is not contagious to humans or other dogs. There is not a simple cream or ointment to be applied, since dogs/puppies will lick their skin, therefore not allowing the cream or ointment to work. Basically, it is a matter of good hygiene, and correcting the imbalance that caused your puppy to be susceptible to the infection in the first place.

Diet, vaccinations, change in environment/emotions and/or surgery to be spayed are a few of the conditions that can cause it. Check this page on our site for more information: Dog Skin Conditions

Bathe her with a mild baby shampoo once a week, for about 3 weeks. And find a holistic veterinarian in your area to confirm the problem.

Rash NEW

I have a 1 year old Pekingese and she has a rash on her stomach. It was red now it's turning black and in circles. What should I do?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Rash on Stomach NEW

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).