Dog Rash on Chest / Underside Looks Like Heat Rash

by Jerry F.
(Fresno, CA)

Rash Underside more Chest Area

Rash Underside more Chest Area

Brushed my dog off to bring her inside and noticed this rash on her underside. She doesn't appear to be itching. Looks like heat rash on human arms.

About her:

Pit bull
18 months

Weather this week over 100 F

She stays outside during most days
Sleeps in house on bed

She plays a lot in her kiddie pool
Likes to lay in pool and play in mud

Plenty of shade
Also has dog house

She was more muddy than usual today as if she was getting it on herself on purpose

Please help,

Comments for Dog Rash on Chest / Underside Looks Like Heat Rash

Paid last night
Accepted this morning
No response
What gives ?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Rash on Chest/Underside Looks Like Heat Rash

July 30, 2014

Hi Jerry,
Sorry for the late response. From the photo you submitted your pup has, what is called, "superficial pyoderma". This is more similar to 'diaper' rash in a human, rather than 'heat' rash. Caused by moisture trapped in the skin folds/underside of the belly, and bacteria entering the hair follicles.

It may be related to the hot weather you have had in Fresno, causing her to seek water/mud in an attempt to keep cool, allowing the bacteria to get into her hair follicles and causing all of the skin eruptions to occur.

Treatment is to keep her clean.

1. Bathe her 1-2 times per week with a baby shampoo.

2. If she does start to itch or scratch, you may need to make her wear a white cotton T-shirt to prevent her toenails from causing trauma to her skin.

3. Keep her inside during the excessive heat, and NOT in the mud.

4. She should start to improve in 2-3 weeks.

If she has had a vaccination in the past month, this may have triggered her 'susceptibility' to getting this condition. And may make it harder for her to recover. And I would be VERY cautious with any future vaccines.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form, may be necessary.

Also, making sure she is eating a healthy diet, is also important. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a RAW diet for her. DRY Dog food is not adequate for healthy skin, since healthy skin needs to have more moisture from the food.