Dog pelvis seems tilted

by David
(Red Deer, Alberta, Canada)

Today I noticed that our dog's pelvis seems tilted from left to right - when standing evenly on all four legs one hip bone is higher than the other. She is in no pain, does not limp, climbs stairs and plays with other dogs with no noticeable ill effects.

She is a very active dog and is walked in an off-leash dog park for one hour every day where she is active with other dogs.

My concern is that she has a misaligned spinal column affecting her pelvis. If this is probable it may possibly have been caused by rough play with other 70 lb. plus dogs on icy paths. We have never heard her cry out in play so we can't look to a specific incident causing an injury.

Tess is a two year old female standard poodle of approximately 70 lbs. She has visited a local vet several times since she was a puppy for vaccinations and check ups. She has never had an illness or injury. She is not spayed and has not been bred or produced a litter.

I think it very unlikely that she has always been this way as I would have noticed and surely the vet would have noticed.

Should I consider chiropractic treatment? Do you have any other thoughts about this?

Comments for Dog pelvis seems tilted

My Online Vet Response for Dog Pelvis seems Tilted

Hi David,
In this case a picture is worth a thousand words!

If her spine were that mis-aligned that you noticed that one hip was higher than the other, I would expect her to show quite a bit of pain or at least some change in her gait or mannerisms.

On the other hand, if she is that active and playing rough with other big dogs, she may have a seroma. This is a collection of serum under the skin caused by trauma such as a blunt blow to the area or even from an injection such as a vaccination and which can appear as a painless swelling. And if it is over one hip, then that hip would look higher than the other one.

Other swellings such as a tumor would have been more slow to appear, and I would not expect a tumor in a two year old.

Also, an insect bite or sting would create a swelling but would be sensitive to the touch. I doubt you have very many insects out and about in Canada at this time of year!

Certainly a visit to a holistic veterinarian, especially one that does dog chiropractic treatments, would be in order.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Developmental Problems Section,