Dog Megaesophagus, Frequent Vomiting & Repeated Pneumonia

by Barclay B.
(Jacksonville Beach, Florida)

Our roughly 7-yr old toy poodle started throwing up after every meal about a year and a half ago.

We built her a bailychair for feeding and hold her upright for 15-20 minutes after every meal. She lost a ton (not that she had it) of weight and even though she eats 5-6 times a day she is skin and bones. She can't hold any liquids down and still throws up constantly.

We tried to treat it ourselves with all kind of stuff. Finally we took her to the vet where she was treated for bacterial pneumonia and given many tests and was diagnosed with megaesophagus.

She has had repeated bouts of pneumonia which is usually treated with Baytril.

We love our dog and want to help her. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments for Dog Megaesophagus, Frequent Vomiting & Repeated Pneumonia

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Megaesophagus, Frequent Vomiting & Repeated Pneumonia

Hi Barclay,
Megaesophagus is a situation that is difficult to manage. It seems to be caused by some auto-immune diseases, or trauma to the pharyngeal nerves. Also, vaccinations have been incriminated.

But there are some things you can do that may help. The upright position for 15-20 during and after each meal, is VERY important. I have found that feeding foods that have a 'chunky' consistency seem to be well tolerated with mega esophagus. Making up 'meatballs' of food that can be swallowed in a bolus fashion, aid the esophagus with a weak peristaltic motion. Consider incorporating some raw foods into the diet. Such as Primal, Nature's Variety, BRAVO! and Darwin's are some examples of raw diets for dogs.

The frequent bouts of pneumonia from inhaling water, may be helped if you mix water in a gravy with the 'meatballs'. If you see her drink water from a bowl, she must be immediately put into her 'baby chair' to sit upright, or held in an upright position to encourage the water to flow all the way down to the stomach, and prevent her from inhaling it!

I would encourage you to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. Acupuncture may be a BIG help to improve swallowing and strength of the esophagus. Homeopathy is also a good modality for some of these mega-esopahgus situations.

A good supplement to help improve weight gain, is Canine Whole Body Support by Standard Process. This comes in a powder form, available on line from

And do NOT give any more vaccinations ever again! A holistic veterinarian will be able to write an exemption form. And I would advise that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to recommend some homeopathic remedies to remove the effects of vaccinosis and to help a weakened Vital Force.