Dog Lump/Tumor on Hind Foot

by Wendy
(Indiana, USA)

I have a 4 year old, 9 lb, female Jack Russell with a quick growing lump on her right hind foot near the toes. It is oval-shaped and the skin has changed color in the last couple of days.

My local vet (and I) assumed it was an abscess, but when he opened it up this morning, he found that it was not. It is a tissue growth he has not seen before, doesn't involve the bone and has what looks like joint fluid in it.

He is shipping a sample off, but I'm hoping to find someone who has seen this before. Thanks...

Comments for Dog Lump/Tumor on Hind Foot

My Online Vet Response to Dog Lump/Tumor on Hind Foot

Hi Wendy,
From the photo you sent, my first impression was that the growth was a benign cyst. Although if it has grown quickly over the past month, then an analysis of the tissue, via needle aspirate, would be appropriate to give you a diagnosis.

After that is established, you can proceed from there on what the best treatment would be.

Fungal infections can produce strange lumps, and also grow quickly. Sebaceous gland cysts can also fill with fluid, and appear to grow quickly. These are treated in very different ways.

Other factors to consider to help boost your dog's immune system, no matter what the diagnosis, would be to provide a healthy diet. Check our 10 Best Dog Food page and consider some of the raw natural diets that are available.

Decreasing the number of vaccinations that you give her, and consider monitoring her vaccine antibody levels, would also be advised. See this page regarding dog vaccinations.

Avoiding toxic flea and tick treatments would also be healthier for her.

Finally, you might also consider finding a local holistic veterinarian to continue treatment, depending on what the analysis shows. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click this link:

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below. I am happy to provide additional advice after you receive a diagnosis.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section,