Dog Lump on Throat, Excess Mucus & Wheezing

by Wyatt S.
(Dawsonville, GA)

We have a 6 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. He has had his thyroid levels checked (because of weight gain and lethargy) and he was put on thyroid medicine. Quickly after going on the medicine he grew a very large(softball sized) lump in his throat.

His energy level is definitely way down and his demeanor is different. We have been treating him at home with turmeric (internal and poultice), switched his diet to mostly meat and vegetables (high quality and no carbohydrates), a nightly activated charcoal poultice on his neck, administering a little apple cider vinegar orally each day, and giving him kelp for iodine. We also take him on a vigorous walk each day which he still enjoys.

He does not seem to be getting any better or worse really. However, he now seems to have a lot of mucus and he has a little bit of a weeze when he breathes as well as mucus hanging from his mouth at times. He has only been on the natural remedies for a few days. He is scheduled for a holisitc vet appointment on Tuesday next week.

I am most writing to ask about how to reduce the amount of phlegm and mucus he is having. We do not really know what is going on; whether it is cancer or thyroid nodules or what. Any and all advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Wyatt

Comments for Dog Lump on Throat, Excess Mucus & Wheezing

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Lump on Throat, Excess Mucus & Wheezing

December 26, 2014

Hi Wyatt,
"he now seems to have a lot of mucus and he has a little bit of a weeze when he breathes as well as mucus hanging from his mouth..."

For cats with upper respiratory disease with clogged sinuses, it sometimes improves their breathing by putting them in a small room like the bathroom with a vaporizer and add some Vick's vap-o-rub, (with Eucalyptus oil). I am not sure if it would help or not.

Since it is not clear if this lump is compressing his esophagus so he is having a hard time swallowing his saliva, you might try to use a syringe to rinse out his mouth with water as often as needed. It might force him to swallow, to decrease the saliva or mucous buildup.

If he is worse, and starts coughing and wheezing, then I would be concerned about a heart condition, which is fairly common in Rhodesian Ridgebacks. And you should try to see if you could get an appointment, and chest/neck x-rays sooner.