Dog Losing Hair / Skin Problem - Hormonal Condition

by William McKnight
(Bethel, Ct)

Similar hair loss on opposite side

Similar hair loss on opposite side

My dog's losing hair on both with sides no apparent itching, scaling or dander. No hair loss anywhere else, and the skin appears darker than where there is hair.

Is this mange and how do I treat it?

Comments for Dog Losing Hair / Skin Problem - Hormonal Condition

My Online Vet Response to Dog losing hair/skin problem

Hi William,
From the photo of your dog and the distribution of hair loss, and dark pigment, it looks like a hormonal condition. Especially since there is no itching, scabs, or inflammation. The most common hormonal problems are low thyroid, or estrogen or testosterone imbalances.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be a good idea. He or she would check for possible mange, or ringworm, and do a blood test to check for internal problems, including hormonal deficiencies. Also, a holistic veterinarian would recommend a healthy dog food diet and suggest supplements to improve the skin and haircoat.

Look in the column on the left under Health/Wellness and click on Alternative Care, then scroll down to find a veterinarian in your area.

Another suggestion, do not vaccinate your dog at this time, as he (she?), is not healthy. A holistic veterinarian will advise you further based on your dog's test results.

Curious
by: Lori

Hi William,

I'm curious how your dog is doing. What did you find out & what did you do to help her. I have a golden & she is looking just like your dog. Can you help?

Thank you,
Lori

Side hair loss on golden

On my golden,
what I used was Benedryl daily for about a month, (get amount from a vet) and washing several times per week with a medicated anti itch shampoo in case it was seasonal allergy related because it started around poison ivy season.

But because there's always fleas and mites (they can come in on mulch, etc.)and because the skin was darker like red manage (but not wet, oozing or open sores), I used Revolution (per instructions) which helps with mites and mange.

A couple of weeks after the revolution, I followed up with mitiban dip two weeks in a row (per instructions) and within 2 months I noticed hair all growing back as normal.

I was extra careful to spray the kennel and wood doghouse for mites and fleas during this time.

I researched hormonal imbalance and learned that after whelping, or for other reasons, it can cause hair loss that sometimes self-corrects within 3-6 months without doing anything. Or it might be thyroid or other related which requires treatment. But I decided to treat as above first and if it didn't show correction within 3 months, I would have my dog checked for low thyroid, etc. Since the hair came back, I didn't need to go this far.

Besides using her regular flea rx, I watch her carefully and if she looks like her hair is thinning I use the Revolution again and am prepared to follow up in about a week with Mitiban dip if the hair loss looks a little worse instead of the same or better. This stops it before baldness.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Losing Hair/Skin Problem-Hormonal Condition

November 8, 2013

Dear Lori,

William, with the original post and photo of his dog losing hair, and skin turning dark, never responded. The Anonymous answer was NOT from me.

Advising Benadryl (an anti-histamine drug used in conventional medicine for itching due to inhaled allergies) is not holistic. This is never a solution to the long term problem of an imbalance in the vital force, and improving the over-all health of the patient.

Also, William stated that his dog was NOT itching or scratching. So, it would not even be recommended by a conventional veterinarian.

The distribution of the hair loss on William's dog is NOT typical of a flea allergy. And using Mitaban dip without a confirming skin scraping that is positive for mites, is NOT good medicine, whether practicing conventional or holistic!

Using Revolution, which is a product that absorbs into the bloodstream, is certainly NOT holistic, and there are many other more natural and SAFER products that I would recommend. As I stated in my response to William, from the photo he submitted of his dog, I suspect a hormonal problem, probably low thyroid.