Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There

by Mark

Armpit hair is a yellowish color, but underneath the hair, her actual skin has turned black

For the past year or so, my dog has been licking her armpits non-stop, day and night. The skin under her short hair has turned very black. Her breath and the areas she licks smells fishy.

She doesn't bite herself, she just licks, and licks, and licks!

We've had her to the Vet and he gave her antibiotics. We have changed her dog food before as well, nothing has worked.

She now has mats on the hair around her mouth. She bites us when we try to cut the mats off, she is irritable and if she is not sleeping, she is licking herself. Our groomer seems to think she has a fungus problem.

She is a 14 yr old cockerpoo.

What do you think is causing this problem and what can we try to stop it from continuing? The dog is suffering and so are we.

Comments for Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There

Hi Mark,

"What do you think is causing this problem and what can we try to stop it from continuing? The dog is suffering and so are we."

Your 14 yr old CockaPoo, has some underlying health issues that are manifesting in secondary skin problems.

Treating the skin, which has been chronically inflamed for the past year causing her to lick continuously, has created secondary yeast/fungal issues, and is only taking care of the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

You need to treat her 'holistically', meaning her whole body, not just the skin. I can give you some suggestions to help make her skin more comfortable, but you will need to take her to a holistic veterinarian for more in depth treatments.

She should have a complete physical exam, especially her teeth, (as you mentioned that she tried to bite you when you tried to clean around her mouth). Dental problems are fairly common in older dogs.

She should also have a complete blood panel to rule out adrenal and thyroid disease, and to ensure she has good kidney and liver function. You also want to make sure she is not anemic or diabetic.

In the meantime, until you can locate a holistic veterinarian, here are some suggestions:

1. You will need to clip the hair in her armpit area shorter, (without getting bit), to help this area air out.

2. Bathe her 1-2 times per week with a mild oatmeal or baby shampoo. oatmeal shampoo

3. After rinsing well, and towel drying her, you will need to apply some apple cider vinegar to the armpit area. This should be done 1 time daily to treat the yeast. You can apply it 'straight' or dilute it a small amount with water.

4. A white cotton T-shirt (one for a human baby) might 'breathe' better and be more comfortable than the sweater she is wearing in the photo. And she should wear a clean one every day.

5. Depending on the results of the blood panel, her diet should include some RAW meat, see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH. Also, add lots of cooked vegetables. Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, has some excellent recipes.

CONTINUED IN PART TWO

Thank you
by: Mark

Thank you Dr. for your response and tips. I will look into this issue of bathing the dog, and other tips you mentioned as well. She is 14.5 yrs old and in otherwise good health for a dog her age. She sees well, hears ok, has her mind (ha ha) and moves about ok. Not great, but ok. This licking and skin issue is the most serious thing she has to deal with these days.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Licks Armpits Non-Stop & Has Black Smelly Skin There PART TWO

Hi Mark,

Here is PART TWO. I apologize, it did not get transmitted with the rest of my answer.

She should be fed canned or raw, NO DRY DOG FOOD. Healthy skin needs lots of moisture to maintain normal integrity.

6. Try adding one of these immune supplements to the food: 1. Missing Link Canine Formula

7. NO MORE VACCINATIONS. I am concerned that too many vaccinations may have started this problem in the first place.

8. Use CAUTION with flea/tick products and consider switching to an all natural option like: Wondercide Quick Treat (Eco Treat + Evolve)