Dog Licking Large Sore on Paw

by Leanne
(Hometown, Illinois)

My small beagle dachshund mix licked the top of her paw raw. Now it seems a little inflamed and puffy.

She is biting at it which makes it more irritated. I need a home remedy for it because I don't have much money right now for a vet visit.

Comments for Dog Licking Large Sore on Paw

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Licking Large Sore on Paw

Hi Leanne,
Your Dach/Beagle mix may have a 'hot' spot or lick granuloma. It will become worse, the more that she licks/bites it. You need to put an E-collar around her neck, to prevent her from causing more damage to her foot.

Once her mouth is away from the area, wash her foot with a mild soap or baby shampoo, rinse and dry. This will help to clean it and remove surface bacteria and prevent it from getting infected. I would also soak her foot in Epsom salts and warm water, about 10-15 minutes two times daily, to help draw the swelling down.

Rescue Remedy diluted 20 drops in 2 oz of Spring water is nice to use to help decrease inflammation. This is available at health food stores. It is for humans. But in diluted form is nice to use on the skin, to 'calm' the skin. Aloe vera gel is good to use also, to decrease inflammation.

You must leave the collar in place for at least 72 hours if not longer. If she is not improved at that time, or the foot is worse, I am concerned she may have a foreign body/plant awn/foxtail/etc under her skin. In which case, a draining tract will develop and she will need to have it probed to remove it.