Dog Licking Floor - Inhaled Allergens

by Kath
(Roswell, GA)

Gracie playing with her toys

Gracie playing with her toys

My 12-year-old dog Gracie is licking her bed, the floor and sometimes her paws frequently. This behavior is new and started after she received radiation and chemo at Auburn Small Animal Hospital in Auburn, GA.

Gracie recently received radiation and chemo for a malignant melanoma on her tongue and an inoperable meningioma (presumed) in her brain. Her chemo ended Aug 31, 2009 and throughout her treatments, I've been working with a Dr. of Chinese Medicine and an acupuncturist. My approach to her treatment is to use a holistic approach, using western and eastern medicine and it seems to be working.

Gracie is doing great. I believe the cancer is gone or minimized so it won't affect her overall health. She is scheduled to be re-examined at Auburn in Dec. She's happy and active just like she was before the radiation and chemo treatments. However, this licking behavior began towards the end of her chemo and I don't understand what's going on. The Dr. of Chinese medicine said it could mean she's lacking in vitamin B so I've added that to her diet of premium dry dog food, raw meat and vegetables. I give her Solid Gold Vitamins and Minerals and Prozyme with her food and agaricus with a squirt in her month twice a day. I just started giving her Solid Gold Sea Meal too.

The odd thing is that when I took her out of town last weekend, she didn't lick but now that I'm home, she's back to licking. When I ask her to stop, she will.

Can you tell me what the licking is all about?

Comments for Dog Licking Floor - Inhaled Allergens

Online Response to Dog Licking Floor
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Kath,
What a beautiful girl. Gracie does not look like she is that old, or has had such a serious illness and treatment.

Frequent licking of the feet, especially the tops of the feet, will indicate a problem due to inhaled allergens. Usually, from pollens, grasses, trees, molds, etc. I am not sure how to explain her licking the floor or her bed, unless it is just a 'continuation' from licking of her feet, and since she is laying in her bed or on the floor, she just licks beside her foot onto the floor or bed.

I do hope the brain tumor/treatment has not caused any neuro deficits, indicating that she is not aware of what she is doing. I do not think that is the case, since you mentioned that when she is not at home, she does not do it any more. That would agree with the diagnosis of an inhaled allergy to something in your house or yard.

In Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine, the diagnosis is made with an exam of the patient, including the color of the tongue, and feeling of the pulses. For allergic problems, it is usually due to what is termed, 'External Wind' and Chinese herbs and sometimes acupuncture is used for treatment. Diet is also adjusted, depending on if the diagnosis indicates the patient is hot or cold, deficient or has excess 'Qi'(Chi).

You mentioned that you are going to a Doctor of Chinese Medicine, is this a veterinarian? I would suggest finding a local holistic veterinarian that also practices acupuncture dog treatment, to continue Gracie's treatment.

Keep up your excellent care of Gracie!
And please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Dog Skin Conditions,
Dog Itchy Skin,
Dog Skin Rash,
Dog Skin Allergies,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (inlcuding itchy skin and mange) Section
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Allergies Section

Dog licking floor

I'm very glad your dog is doing better. I to have a very similar problem my 7yr old male dachshund has started licking the floor the couch and the bed. He will lick the sheets until they are wet are he falls asleep. He just started this a month ago. We had him fixed about 6-8 months ago. He gained lots of weight after that and has become very lazy. He does not like to do anything but lay around and now lick the floor. He does not lick his paws or any part of his body.I do not understand why this is happening. I'm just very worried.

My Online Vet Response
by: Administrator

Hi there,

Thanks for adding your comment, and we are sorry to hear the problems with your dog. Unfortunately, due to legal reasons our veterinarians are only able to respond to questions after visitors sign up for My Online Vet. Please click here for more details.

bed and floor licking
by: Tootsies mom

I happy to see my crazy Dachshund is not the only one licking the floor, blankets and anything soft. Tootsie recently broke out in a rash that started out on her belly legs and then within her armpits and fur. This licking has all started since the rash which the vet thinks is enviormental allergy related.

Thanks for everyone's post... I no longer think Tootsie is losing her mind. She has had this for a month now and now it has black scabby areas. She is still on steroids and benadryl.