Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

by G. Frias
(Guaynabo, PR)

Laceration to legs

Laceration to legs

Our 12 year old female dog had an accident when running to the street and had trauma in both of her front legs. We went to the vet immediately. She had multiple lacerations in her left leg and some minimal in her right leg.

The Vet took x-rays of both legs and chest to discard the possibility of fractures. There were no fractures but a large solitary tumor was found in the left lung.

The vet told us that this tumor was so big that was compressing the heart. He also mentioned that he noticed that the spleen was big.

The dog: her name is NANA - has no symptoms; no shortness of breath, no coughing, no loss of weight, no diarrhea, or anything abnormal. She is not lethargic, she has lots of energy all the time, so I was a little bit confused by this finding.

About her past medical history I can say that three years ago she had multiple small masses in several regions of different breasts. I went to the vet and she had a partial mastectomy and hysterectomy. By that time a chest x-ray was performed and everything was normal.

The pathology investigation for the masses was not performed, so we don't now about their nature; benign or malignant. She still has some small masses (size of a pea) which were not taken out at her mastectomy (I don't know why), but they are small, they move, they haven't changed in size, and they are round with regular borders.

She is now hospitalized due to an infection in her left leg caused by the previous trauma. I will perform a CT Scan as I was advised to do, to look for other tumors and then the possible next step will be surgery.

This is her med record since the accident Famotidine 20mg,sucralfate,Metronidazole( since Jan 24: every 12 hrs) Baytril IV(3 doses),Amikacin subq (4 doses) she was also given cephalexin,previcox, & convenia.

What do you think? What is you recommendation?

How can I possibly get her up and running again, holistically speaking?

She is currently still hospitalized. :(

Comments for Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Leg Trauma, Lung Tumor & Enlarged Spleen

January 31, 2014

Hi Gia,
At this time, I would concentrate on getting Nana's legs healed. She is certainly on enough antibiotics to clear up any infection, and Previcox for pain. Since she has NO clinical symptoms for heart disease or lung problems, at this time, I would check for a few other possible causes for lung masses, BEFORE surgery is done to remove a lung mass or spleen!

A complete blood panel to include:

1. Heartworm test
2. Fungal Diseases in dogs-
3. Another chest x-ray in 2-3 weeks after all the antibiotics, to compare the lung mass to see if it is changing. And also, a follow-up blood panel to monitor liver and kidneys, anemia, white blood cell counts, etc.

You said,
"three years ago she had multiple small masses in several regions of different breasts....she had a partial mastectomy and hysterectomy.... chest x-ray was performed and everything was normal.

The pathology investigation for the masses was not performed, don't know if benign or malignant. She still has some small masses (size of a pea) which were not taken out..."

It is not uncommon to see the remaining small benign breast tumors disappear after a dog has been spayed. Since these tumors are dependent on the hormones produced by the ovaries, when a dog is spayed the ovaries AND uterus are removed. So, a *spay* is actually an *ovario-hysterectomy* NOT just a hysterectomy.

Once her legs are healed from infection, and she is out of the hospital, supplementing her with
Standard Process Canine Whole Body Support, and Standard Process Pneumotrophin for healthy lung tissue, would be advised. There may be other supplements or homeopathic remedies needed, depending on her symptoms/results of bloodwork.

And NO VACCINATIONS!! At 12 years of age, she has enough antibodies to protect her from Rabies, Distemper, and Parvo virus. Vaccines have been implicated in the development of tumors and cancers.