Dog leaking clear fluid around bottom

by Joe Stavole

My two year old Westie is leaking a clear fluid around her bottom. I took her to the vet and he said it was her anal glands, but I am now doubting this as it's happened two days in the last week.

What do you think?

Comments for Dog leaking clear fluid around bottom

My Online Vet Response for Dog Leaking clear fluid around bottom

Hi Joe,
With the limited information presented about your two year old West Highland White Terrier, it is difficult to arrive at a definite diagnosis. But, I will give you a list of possible causes/conditions, and perhaps some suggestions on how to proceed.

If you noticed a very strong, foul odor, I would agree with the veterinarian that the fluid would be associated with her anal glands.

If it is merely a clear fluid, with NO odor, and resembles moisture, such as perspiration, there are a number of homeopathic remedies that would be useful in treatment. Of course, to narrow down the list of which remedy to choose, it would be necessary to observe more details, including: does the fluid occur more at night when she is asleep or does it seem to appear more after she passes stool? Does she seem to be irritated by it, and want to lick it off immediately? Or does she not even notice it at all?

Would it be classified as mucous? In which case she may have colitis, or inflammation of the colon, and diet or parasites, may be a factor in causing it.

Did you recently change foods, or start offering her a new treat this past week, and that is when you noticed the fluid? Was she recently vaccinated in the past 7-10 days?

Taking her to a holistic veterinarian may be the way to solve the problem. A holistic veterinarian will go through all of the above, plus a physical exam.

It is also important to observe her emotional and mental state. Is she a nervous dog, startles easily, hates fireworks,and the 4th of July weekend caused her to be excessively stressed? Does she live in a household of 1-2 other BIG dogs, that are more dominant, and she is at the bottom of the pack?

Check out our page on holistic veterinary medicine and homeopathy.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Questions and Answers from other Visitors