Dog Kidney Malfunction & Mouth Infection

by Britni
(Colton, CA, USA)

Our 11 year old dachshund was diagnosed with kidney malfunction and an infection in her mouth from loosing teeth. We were told to feed her a k/d diet and give her antibiotics and she should be cured in 1 month.

I don't believe this to be correct, I think she would need to be on some type of kidney support and I will not feed her the k/d food. She is also very skinny and is not gaining weight, no matter how much food we feed her.

We have fed her several different foods and the one she is on currently is the only one she does well on. She is currently eating petguard vegetarian wet dog food. It is low in protein, no sodium and low in phosphorus.

My question is what type of food should she be eating, what kidney support do you suggest and do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments for Dog Kidney Malfunction & Mouth Infection

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Kidney Malfunction & Mouth Infection

Hi Britni,
You are correct. Chronic kidney disease is not 'cured' by feeding Hill's K/D diet and antibiotics. To explain why conventional veterinarians recommend K/D (a LOW protein diet), I need to explain about Chronic Kidney Disease.

Chronic Kidney Disease is due to the loss of functioning nephrons in the kidneys. As the kidneys fail, each nephron unit is unable to filter the toxins out of the bloodstream, especially nitrogen.

Nitrogen is the main component of protein. It is supposed to be excreted out of the body into the urine in the form of ammonia. Therefore, it would seem logical to lower the protein in the diet to ease the load off the kidneys.

But another problem with the nephrons, they are NOT conserving the protein, they are allowing it to slip through into the urine. So, the patient will suffer from a protein malnutrition as they lose protein in the urine AND less protein is allowed in the diet.

Dental disease can be due to bacteria, but it is also affected by the uremia (the increased nitrogen in the bloodstream from failing kidneys). The blood test called a BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) can measure how much nitrogen is in the bloodstream.

Here's the Plan:

I. Kidney support

1. Azodyl - It contains nitrogen absorbing bacteria, that will help ease the load on the kidneys. Open and sprinkle one capsule into the food two times daily.

2. Renatrophin--made by Standard Process - This is a glandular supplement to help provide support for kidney tissue. Crumble and mix one tablet into her food two times daily.

II. Diet

Canned Petguard vegetarian is a good diet, but too low in protein. Try adding in some raw meat. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.

This will give her more protein that is easily absorbed into her system. And will provide Vitamin C in a natural form. If she does not like raw meat, there are some prepared raw diets like these that she might find more palatable.

To be continued in PART TWO

Part 2 - Response to: Dog Kidney Malfunction & Mouth Infection

(continued from above)

Fatty acids--add in some omega 3 fish oils to her diet, 250-500mg daily.

For fatty treats, to give her more calories, offer her some peanut or almond butter on a baby carrot.

III. Flushing Toxins

Sub-cutaneous fluids - This may be needed two or three times per week, depending on her appetite, hydration, etc.

IV. B-vitamins given by injection.

B-vitamins and Vit B-12 will help increase the appetite and replenish the loss of water soluble B-vitamins from the system.

Over vaccination has been incriminated in the cause of chronic kidney disease, and in affecting the immune system in general.

Lastly, it would be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to work with you and implement what I have suggested. Also adding in homeopathic remedies, and other supplements depending on her response to treatment.

Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms