Dog Urination Issues &
Best Dog Incontinence Products
Dog incontinence products – the good ones, that is – can effectively curb your dog’s urinary problems.
- What constitutes an “incontinence” problem in the first place?
- Is there more than one type of product out there?
- Which products are best?
Dogs hold their urine in their bladder, and when they urinate that urine then passes through a small tube called the urethra… sound familiar?
Yes, their systems work exactly the same as ours do. And for most dogs, the system works great and allows them to hold their urine for up to eight hours at a time.
When a dog is suffering from urinary incontinence, they will experience involuntary or uncontrollable leaking of urine from the bladder.
Often times, this leaking occurs when the dog is sleeping or resting, and it is quite common to see the dog licking the vulva or penile opening. The leaking can happen at any time of the day, but is more common during resting hours.
Aging dogs, dogs with hormone problems, spayed or neutered dogs or dogs suffering from disease can also be more susceptible.
Dogs who suffer from urinary incontinence often experience secondary problems such as…
- Bladder infections - Urinary incontinence can cause bladder infections in dogs because of the more lax opening of the bladder. It allows more bacteria to migrate up the urethra and colonize in the bladder.
- Urine scalding - If your dog’s incontinence is not treated, the urine leakage can sit on the skin and cause irritation or damage.
Treatments for dog urinary incontinence vary depending on the individual dog and the cause of the incontinence.
Unfortunately, you may have to treat the incontinence along with the secondary problem, but thankfully there are many safe natural products to help with this process.
Can't find your exact issue on this page? Our veterinarians will answer your specific question no later than tomorrow... click here to ask a veterinarian via My Online Vet.
You can also review pictures and questions submitted by other visitors in our My Online Vet Ask-A-Vet Library section on Dog Urinary Incontinence.
There are several effective dog incontinence products on the market to make life easier for you and your dog.
They come in five categories. The first four help with accidents and the last one is made to specifically improve the condition…
- Protective dog diapers
- Training pads as an alternative to diapers
- Dog beds made for incontinent dogs
- Dog urine cleaning products for accidents
- Herbal supplements to promote bladder health
Dog diapers are a great option when your dog’s incontinence is not strictly a nighttime problem. If your dog is having daily accidents in the house, this is definitely your best option alongside effective herbal supplements.
If your dog has never worn a dog diaper or any type of doggie clothing, it may be a struggle at first to keep the diaper in place. Certain dogs take to the diaper with no problem at all, while others will try anything to get it off their rear end.
It may take persistence (and dog treats!), but in due time, your dog will most likely get used to the feeling of the diaper.
Cloth diapers are the eco-friendly option and can actually be much more comfortable than their plastic disposable counterparts.
We like the Simple Solution Washable Diapers (pictured right):
- For light pee problems, no pads are needed
- For dogs with heavier problems (more pee), the insert pads are recommended (can choose between "light" and "heavy" inserts)
- Ultra-absorbent inner core - Stops moisture, away from the skin
- Super comfortable - most dogs act like they don't know it's there
If your dog’s urinary incontinence is still somewhat under control and your dog is responsive to training, then training pads are a good option.
Consider placing them near the door where your dog (hopefully) asks to go out and close to their favorite resting place. You may also want to get your dog comfortable with the pads by placing them outside on the grass and encouraging your dog to use them there.
Not all training pads are considered equal...
If you're flexible, go with a biodegradable option or a product made from recycled material like Simple Solution's Eco-Care Training Pads (pictured above right). They're not quite as well-made as the less eco-friendly options, but they still work great.
Otherwise you'll be happy with Four Paws' Wee-Wee Pads (pictured right). In addition to being extremely absorb ant, they're scented to encourage dogs to urinate on them.
Nighttime is a major problem for most dogs with urinary incontinence. It is not safe or sanitary for a dog to sleep on a wet, urine filled surface, nor is it probable that you will wake up in the middle of the night to clean the dogs’ bed.
That leaves very few options to help promote the dog’s health and your sanity, but thankfully there is a great option out there for you both!
The SleePee Time Bed from Handicappedpets.com was developed and designed to fit the needs of incontinent dogs while they sleep. It’s a unique, patented product that provides comfort and protection for your dog, and we absolutely love it!
The only downside is that it's not built for dogs over 75 pounds (34 kg) (for bigger dogs, your best bet is to go with a pee-proof bed liner like the ones from Buddy Beds (pictured right)
Now back to the SleePee Time Beds...in the words of the dog incontinence products manufacturer, here's how the system works:
“Your dog sleeps on a bed of special vinyl-coated polyester fiber mesh. This unique fabric has a wider gauge mesh than ordinary PVC pipe dog beds, so urine flows easily through the mesh to the protective pan waiting below.
…the SleePee-Time Bed® hugs your dog with luxurious "lambs fleece" bolsters and a pillow for warmth and security, but the unique design makes sure the cuddly "lambs fleece" stays clean and dry.
…to clean up after your pet with the SleePee-Time® system - just spray the bed with any non-abrasive household cleaner and wipe! The bolsters stay clean and dry, but can easily be removed for machine washing and drying as needed. The pan keeps the floor or carpet clean, too.
Air circulates under your pet with SleePee-Time's® open mesh sleeping surface to promote comfort and evaporation.
The SleePee-Time Bed® is low to the ground, so it's easy to step in or out of - Perfect for dogs suffering from orthopedic problems.”
Well done SleePee-Time!
The price for the SleePee Time Bed is $119, but according to dog owners who currently use it, “It’s the best thing since sliced bread!”
When it comes to dog urine cleaning products, there are lots of great, natural options for your home, carpet and dog...
- Home & Carpet - One of our favorite natural stain and odor removers is BioKleen Bac-Out Stain & Odor Remover. It’s proven effective at removing urine, vomit, blood and food stains from your carpet, upholstery and even laundry and is safe for you, your pet and the environment.
Dog - Since your dog may be experiencing
excessive urination due to
incontinence, it is a good idea to keep the vulva or penile opening and
the surrounding skin as clean as possible to prevent urine scalding.
Natural pet wipes like these from Earthbath are great to use between baths and to prevent any unsanitary build-up on the coat or skin.
The best natural herbal remedy that we have found is called UTI-Free. It serves as both an elixir that improves the condition short term as well as having the longer term benefit of maintaining urinary tract and bladder health and a healthy flow of urine.
It also promotes the healthy functioning of your dog's immune system.
The active ingredients include:
- Arctostaphylos uva ursi - a well known urinary tonic, helping to maintain normal pH levels in the urinary tract. This herb contains the glycoside arbutin as the main active constituent.
- Berberis vulgaris - a widely studied herb which contains berberine as a main constituent, and is well known for its restorative effect on the bladder and urinary tract. Berberis also helps to support healthy immune system functioning.
- Cantharis - often recommended for its ability to maintain a healthy flow of urine and soothe the bladder.
- Staphysagris - a proven natural remedy also recommended for urogenital health and as a well known prostate tonic.
Do you believe in holistic pet care? If so, please tell your friends about us with a Facebook like, Google +1 or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
For additional research, search for your topic...
In the spirit of full disclosure, we wanted to let you know that we proudly support this website through advertising and affiliate marketing. In other words, when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we often earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or affiliate relationship. Click here for more info.