Dog Holding Left Back Leg Up - Back Leg Is Swollen with Knotted Muscle

by Mary Garcia
(Worcester, MA, USA)

Emma's Back Leg

Emma's Back Leg

Emma's Back Leg
Emma

At the beginning of January we noticed our dog Emma was holding her left back leg up when she would first get up, and that has progressively gotten worse.

At first they thought it was her paw, and it appeared a little bit swollen so they gave us Rimedyl. Then it got a bit worse and another vet said her musculature was great, but she had "crunchiness" in her foot and a little bit in her low back, and suggested meds (different ones). The also suggested that she loose some weight.

Okay, she has lost a few pounds, maybe three (was 33 pounds and now is close to 30 or a bit less). Her lameness is now worse. I cannot walk her outside the yard.

I have become very frustrated. I have arthritis and it doesn't just suddenly appear. I closely monitor my dog's because one has subluxing knees and has always required attention (he is 13 & has had a lot of issues his whole life) so I do the same with Emma.

That being said, I have tried to gently move her joints before we go down stairs and decided the other day to massage the big muscle running down the outside of the left back leg. There was a knot in it so I massaged that and it was the first time I got an indication of something wrong other than her not using that leg.

When I massaged the knot her leg started to shake as if it were painful so I guess I am wondering if this maybe a muscle problem by itself, or, geez, I don't know. I just hate taking her to the vet and leaving with a big question mark and a bag of meds.

Can you suggest a plan? Thank you.

P.S. Emma is a 8 1/2 yr. old Scottie. We had a big gathering at Christmas including our grandchildren ages 5 and 2 1/2. The kids are kind of rough at times and we have caught the littlest kicking at Emma.

We also are hosting foreign high school students who are klutzy & have accidentally stepped on or into Emma-actually since she is black we all have occasionally not seen her since we first got her.

Comments for Dog Holding Left Back Leg Up - Back Leg Is Swollen with Knotted Muscle

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Holding Left Back Leg Up-Back Leg Is Swollen with Knotted Muscle

Hi Mary,

From your photos of Emma it's difficult for me to see any swollen/knotted muscle area, but I can appreciate that her Left hind leg is painful and she is holding it up.

I agree that her symptoms are not typical of arthritis, especially since she has had no (or very little) response to the Rimadyl, (a non-steroid anti-inflammatory). And, in fact, she is now worse. Here is what I would suggest:

Find a holistic veterinarian that will take x-rays of Emma's lower back, Left hip and the entire Left hind leg. A diagnosis needs to be made, and I am very worried that Emma may have a tumor or cancer either in her muscle or her bone.

The swollen foot may be secondary to obstruction of lymph flow through her lymph nodes in her hind leg.

She should also have a blood panel done to rule out any other problems internally.

If she has been stepped on or kicked, I would also want to rule out a 'partial' fracture of her leg/foot.

. Related Pages:
- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer)
- Dog Warts
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Update on Emma
by: Mary

Well, here's what I felt was appropriate. First I thought about seeing an orthopedic vet, but was afraid to be a number in their quota for that months surgeries SO I opted to give Emma a chance with a dog Chiropractor (with 10 years experience). I am pleased to say that she is doing very well and her limp and knotted muscles are gone! Thank you so much for following up on this! Sincerely, Emma and Emma''s family! :-)

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Holding Left Back Leg Up-Back Leg is Swollen with Knotted Muscle

September 9, 2013
Hi Mary,
Thank you so much for the update! I am glad that Emma is doing well. And you were able to help her without surgery!