Dog Hip Growth with Black Base, Pink Middle & White, Hard Tip

by Johnna
(Tyler, TX)

Enlarged picture of problem

Enlarged picture of problem

Enlarged picture of problem
Another enlarged pic
Tip of problem

The current growth does not bother my dog Sue, unless you want to take picture. It is black at the base, and appears to have smoother texture than what picture reflects. It's kind of doubled headed/folded at the end. The end is pinkish colored, and the tip is looks like white hard puss.

This problem is located on the back of her right hip. She lays on this side at all times. She has always had problems with her hips, probably from sliding on our wood floors when she was growing up. She tip toes now.

She has had one wart on her paw, it was removed and benign. It was round and close to skin, did not have length.

She is an 8 yr, 130 lbs Rottweiler.

Comments for Dog Hip Growth with Black Base, Pink Middle & White, Hard Tip

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Hip Growth with Black Base, Pink Middle & White, Hard tip

November 19, 2013

Hi Johnna,
From the photos you have sent of Sue's "growth", and description of where it is located, I am going to hazard a 'guess' that this *might* be an ingrown hair follicle that is filled with sebaceous oil. It does not look like a wart.

Use a damp, warm wash cloth as a compress to soften the 'growth' for 10-15 minutes. Then attempt to gently squeeze the 'growth' at the base, similar to squeezing out a pimple. Or, better yet, you may choose to take her in to a veterinarian, who can evaluate her and make a more informed opinion by examining Sue in 'person'. A holistic veterinarian, might be a better choice, just in case it is a growth or mass. As a holistic veterinarian would suggest a 'holistic' treatment other than surgical removal.