Dog Herpes Virus

Arielle, our 6 year old toy fox terrier, was diagnosed with the herpes viurs. She has fatty deposits in her eyes and is taking Fucithalmic Ointment as prescribed by her canine eye doctor.

We have been asked to puppysit a 14 week old pup. Is our dog's herpes contagious to this pup?

Comments for Dog Herpes Virus

My Online Vet Response to Dog Herpes Virus

All herpes virus infections are contagious. But I am suspicious that your dog may not have a virus infection, if the ophthalmologist prescribed Fucithalmic ointment.

Here is a description of the medicine:

Fucithalmic ointment contains the active ingredient fusidic acid, which is an antibiotic medicine. It is used to treat bacterial infections of the membrane that covers the whites of the eyes and lining of the eyelids (bacterial conjunctivitis).

Fusidic acid works by preventing the bacteria from producing proteins that are essential to them. Without these proteins the bacteria cannot grow, replicate and increase in numbers. Fusidic acid therefore stops the spread of infection and remaining bacteria are killed by the body's immune system or eventually die.

Perhaps you should call your veterinary ophthalmologist to confirm the specific eye problem your dog is being treated for.

You might want to see a holistic veterinarian.
To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: