Dog Has Thick, Dry, Itching Flaky Skin on Hind Legs with Some Scabs & Sores and Fur Loss Under Tail

by Robin I.
(Chapel Hill, NC)

My 3 year old female black lab mix has developed thick, dry, flaky skin all over both of her hind legs. It seems to be itchy but has improved a bit recently. She also has some scabs/sores and has lost some fur under her tail near her butt, but the fur on the legs is fine, just the underlying skin looks like thick dandruff.

The vet thinks she might have had some fleas, but they went away when we treated her with Frontline. The vet did prescribe an antibiotic, which I haven't given her yet, because I try to avoid them if possible. She also gave me some anti-itch pills, but I haven't given her them either, because I would prefer to try a more natural approach.

I have given her 2 baths over the past 2 weeks and used a natural dog shampoo, then I applied some aloe vera gel (99% natural). It is a little better, but the scaly, flaky skin is pretty thick back there and I wanted to check to see what else I can do or find out what this could be caused by.

We did switch her food recently to an all meat, all natural dry food. Could this have an impact?

Could flea bites have caused the dry, flaky skin?

We live in North Carolina on 5 acres, and she does run around a lot.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Sincerely,
Robin

Comments for Dog Has Thick, Dry, Itching Flaky Skin on Hind Legs with Some Scabs & Sores and Fur Loss Under Tail

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has Thick, Dry, Itching Flaky Skin on Hind Legs with Some Scabs & Sores and Fur Loss Under Tail

Hi Robin,
Without a photo, it will be difficult to give you a diagnosis. But, going by location, both hind legs and under tail, I am VERY suspicious that flea allergy dermatitis has triggered this reaction in your 3 year old female Black Lab mix.

I suggest using a more natural flea treatment instead of Frontline. This would be healthier for your dog. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment, and also check EVOLV by Wondercide made from cedar oil.

PLAN:

1. Massage coconut oil into areas where there is dandruff. Let sit for 2-3 hours or longer (It is ok if she licks it). It will need several hours to soak into her skin.

2. Give her a bath with Dawn Dish Detergent (IF she is still greasy). IF she is NOT greasy, then just use an oatmeal shampoo. Oil soaks can be done 1-2 times per week, as needed for the next 3-6 weeks.

3. Add Omega 3 fish oil 500mg to her food two times daily for the next 2-3 months.

4. NO MORE DRY DOG FOOD! See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Diets and consider a switch to RAW dog food.

Send a photo if she is NOT improved or gets worse! And/or seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.

dog's rash gone
by: Robin

Hi,
I used some coconut oil a few times on my dogs back legs and that helped. But mostly we bathed her a few times a week with an oatmeal natural shampoo. That helped, but then created some dandruff, so had to stop that. But now she is fine.

I think she had developed the rash some animals get from fleas. So once the fleas were gone, and we kept her fur clean and oiled, that helped.

Oh and we also added omega oil to her food for a few weeks. That helped too. It took about 3 weeks to a month to clear up completely.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.

Robin

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has Thick, Dry Itching Flaky Skin on Hind Legs with some Scabs & Sores and Fur loss under Tail

Hi Robin,
Glad to help. Thank you for sending an update!