Dog Has Sudden Vomiting, Lethargic & Loose Reddish Diarrhea

by Sue
(Henderson, NV)

My 6 month female Pit Bull got fixed last Tuesday. She is on antibiotics and pain pills, and 12.5 mg of tranquilizers to sleep as she's being crated.

All of a sudden on Sunday night she threw up her dinner around midnight and threw up an additional time around 12:15 am and again at 12:30 am. She threw up again today around 4 pm.

Her other symptoms are no appetite, not drinking any water, but took a few laps when came in from outside. She just lays around and sleeps, turns down all treats and meat, has a 103 degree temp, and has mucousy (loose) reddish diarrhea.

I do have a fresh stool sample in fridge. Sound like worms, intestinal blockage, parvo, distemper??

Comments for Dog Has Sudden Vomiting, Lethargic & Loose Reddish Diarrhea

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has Sudden Vomiting, Lethargic & Loose Reddish Diarrhea

Hi Sue,
Fever with vomiting and bloody diarrhea, are all symptoms of Parvo virus. I am do not know if she was vaccinated at the time she was spayed, but for some dogs with a weakened immune symptoms, going through a surgery is a BIG stress on their system, and then a vaccine on top of that is enough to actually cause the disease!

Take her to a clinic for treatment ASAP. Pit bull dogs usually have a pretty hardy constitution, but considering this started on Sunday, and it is now early Wednesday morning that is too long for her to go without eating or drinking. Especially, since she is losing fluid, (and blood), through diarrhea and she is also vomiting.

"Sound like worms, intestinal blockage, parvo, distemper??"

Canine Parvo virus is most likely.
Worms would not cause a fever.
Intestinal blockage would cause vomiting and possibly diarrhea but she would not be lethargic, and she would still want to eat.
Distemper is possible, but there are not that many cases here in Henderson.

A conventional veterinary hospital can test for Parvo virus, while they start her on IV fluids, to restore her hydration. Please keep us posted on her progress. She may also need some homeopathic remedies for 'vaccinosis' and/or adverse reactions to the antibiotics, tranquilizers, and pain meds she was taking.

The Animal Kingdom Veterinary Hospital is a full service HOLISTIC practice, that you might consider, if you can get her in as soon as possible. Located at 1325 Vegas Valley Drive, Las Vegas, NV (702) 735-7184

antibiotic

It turned out to be the antibiotic was causing all her symptoms. Within a day of being off them she started to slowly eat and drink. By the second day she about 75% normal, by the 3rd day she was 100%. Thank you.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has Sudden Vomiting, Lethargic & Loose Reddish Diarrhea

June 3, 2014

Hi Sue,
"the antibiotic was causing all her symptoms. Within a day of being off them she started to slowly eat and drink. By the second day she about 75% normal, by the 3rd day she was 100%."

That is great!! Thank you so much for keeping us updated.