Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss

by Leanne
(Tasmania)

Skin patches on side of dog - Photo 1

Skin patches on side of dog - Photo 1

Skin patches on side of dog - Photo 1
Skin patches on side of dog - Photo 2
Skin patches on side of dog - Photo 3

My dog has small skin patches with hair loss on his right side just behind his front leg near his ribs. He doesn't itch it at all, and they don't seem to bother him. The skin is not scabby or flaky.

My 7 month old Australian bulldog's skin problem has been going on for 2 months now. Our vet took a swab of the patch, put it under the microscope and gave him antibiotics. He has finished all them and it has not cleared up.

Could it be his diet? He eats chicken and beef dry food and also dog roll.

Since he had the skin problem I've been washing him with the medicated dog wash. Do you think I should head back to the vet or do you have a suggestion I could try to clear it up?

Thank you.

Comments for Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has small skin patches with Hair Loss

Hi Leanne,

Considering your Australian bulldog's age, 7 months old, and he is not scratching the area, nor is the skin scabby or scaly, from the photos I would suspect this is either 'mange' caused by a microscopic mite, or 'ringworm' caused by a fungus.

Neither of these conditions can be diagnosed by a 'swab', nor are they treated with antibiotics.

Mange mites are found with a skin scraping. It may take 2-3 scrapings to located the mites and view them under the microscope.

Ringworm is diagnosed with a fungus culture. The culture may take 3 weeks to grow and show a 'positive' result.

See our page on How to Treat Dog Mange: Demodectic Mange which discusses the cause of demodectic mange.

Ringworm is a fungus (not a worm) and can be a serious problem. It can also be spread to humans. If your dog has widespread ringworm, it is probably an indication of overall poor health.

Symptoms of ringworm:

•Often starts as a red area, then it develops into a small ring that slowly grows
•Area surrounding ringworm will often be hairless or stubbly
•Thickened skin
•Scabbed and/or irritated skin

Diet does play a big role in maintaining healthy skin and hair coat. If your dog were 'allergic' to the food, he would be scratching and itching. Since he is NOT scratching, I do not feel that this is an allergy.

It may be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to proceed from here. Vaccinations can stress a puppy's immune system and make him 'susceptible' to this skin problem. So, it may be best to look for holistic solutions, and boost his immune system.

Try these overall immune boosters:

another vet visit

Hi thank you for replying back to me, the first vet I took him to said it was a skin fungal infection, I took him to another vet today and they seem to think its still a fungal thing so they gave him a wash to try see if that helps..

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for the update that the hair loss is due to a 'fungus'. (or commonly called 'ringworm'). This is contagious to humans also.

As I said in my previous posting, you might consider some immune supplements, and also think about changing his food to Raw diet to improve his health.

Same patches missing
by: Mr franco

My dog has the same patches missing !!! I've been bathing her every other day .. Please update and tell me if anything has worked for you ? These vets just seem like they want your money and recommend same as other vets.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has Small Skin Patches with Hair Loss

February 14, 2015

Dear Mr. Franco,

Thanks for your question.

I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).