Dog has red eye with green discharge and fur loss

My dog started to have itching of the eye and was rubbing her eye on the ground. A week later it looks like this. She has lost her fur around the eye and it's red with green discharge from the eye.

There is a good chance she is pregnant and I want to make sure what I do to treat the eye won't hurt the puppies. I have not tried anything to treat it yet.

It seems to be getting worse every day so I really want to get her fixed up. Can you please tell me what you think this is that is wrong with her eye and what I can get or do to heal her?

Thank you very much. It looks like it is starting on the other eye as well now.

Comments for Dog has red eye with green discharge and fur loss

My Online Vet Response for Dog has red eye with green discharge and fur loss

Hello,
This looks like Demodectic Mange. Demodex is a mite that is normally found in the skin and hair follicles in very small numbers. It is kept in check by a healthy immune system. IT IS NOT CONTAGIOUS TO HUMANS OR OTHER DOGS OR CATS. And your dog did not 'catch' it from any other dog. See our page on How to Treat Dog Mange for more information.

I would NOT advise following the fasting information if there is a chance that your dog may be pregnant. I would advise starting her on puppy dog food, canned preferably and/or raw, and very little dry food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

It would also be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, one that will be able to do a skin scraping, and guide you along with alternative treatment, if it is mange, or if it is something else.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- How to Treat Dog Mange,