Dog Has Red Englarged Third Eyelid & Itchy Eyes

Itchy eyes with red third eyelid

Itchy eyes with red third eyelid

My 11 year old shepherd mix has red itchy eyes. It appears that her third eyelid is always showing and sometimes covers half her eye.

She does occasionally rub her eyes, and there is sometimes discharge, but not always and not a lot.

Our vet stained her eyes, and they are not scratched. She said this is allergies, and put her on eyedrops - neobacimyx w/hydrocortisone, one drop each eye 2x daily for a week then 1x daily after that for another week if needed.

The eyes did not improve at all after 2 weeks. Also on veterinary advise I've been giving her antihistamine since the we stopped the drops (cetirizine hydrochloride 10 mg) 1x daily. Still, no improvement.

It is now approximately six weeks since it first appeared. There is no prior history of any eye problems or allergies.

Comments for Dog Has Red Englarged Third Eyelid & Itchy Eyes

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has Red Enlarged Third Eyelid & Itchy Eyes

Hello,
In my opinion, for an 11 year old dog to suddenly develop allergies is highly unusual. And, since there has been no response to antihistamines or topical eye drops with cortisone (even though the dose given was too low), I would search for some other cause.

From the photo is appears that your dog has BOTH third eyelids raised, and BOTH eyes are red.

You have submitted a very short history, so it is difficult to give you a complete list of differential possibilities. Did this start after a vaccine was given? Did this start after you applied a flea or tick product, or shampoo? Did you recently move? Are her lymph nodes swollen? Has she had any fevers?

What food are you giving her?

Here are some suggestions I can give that might help her, while you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a diagnosis.

1. Improve her diet-see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider adding some RAW meat to her diet (NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH).

Or at least decrease the DRY food, and gradually add in some canned of the same brand. With 1-2 TBSP of raw chicken, beef, turkey or lamb to each meal. With itchy skin and eyes, the more moisture she has in her diet, the more comfortable she will feel.

2. Rinsing her eyes 2-3 times daily with saline, and putting 2-3 drops of olive oil into each eye three times daily, after rinsing, may also make her feel more comfortable.

3. Boost her immune system:

4. Do not apply any toxic flea/tick products to her. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment. And check out Wondercide, made from cedar oil.

5. Consider a full blood panel to rule out some underlying cause for this problem, and include a heartworm test, Babesia, and the other tick borne illnesses.

A holistic veterinarian may be able to guide you in treatment once a diagnosis is reached.

more background.

There have been no recent vaccines. She has been given no tick products and no flea shampoo. She uses trifexis for heartworm and fleas, but this is not a recent change. We have not moved recently. Her lymph nodes are not swollen, and she does not itch anywhere but her eyes. She is on a high quality grain and poultry free food - the lamb formula from Taste of the Wild. Any other suggestions?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has Red Enlarged Third Eyelid & Itchy Eyes

Hi,
Thank you for adding some more details. Although, it still does not open up any other probable causes. Considering that both eyes are involved, I am suspicious that there is some underlying problem behind this. And a complete blood panel that includes heartworm and a tick panel would still be advised.

Following my comments above, adding some canned and/or raw meat to her diet would also be a good idea. With itchy skin and eyes, the more moisture she has in her diet, the more comfortable she will feel.

And, rinsing her eyes 2-3 times daily with saline, and putting 2-3 drops of olive oil into each eye three times daily, after rinsing, may also make her feel more comfortable.