Dog has itching, sensitve skin with red rash on sides and back and chunks of hair coming out

by Leesa
(Salem, Wisconsin)

My pug has been itching a lot for the last couple of months and was sensitive to my petting her on her sides. I took her in and the vet pushed all around and checked her ears and said she was fine.

The vet did not look at her skin. She has chunks of hair coming out with little nubs at the bottom of the hairs, very red-rashed skin on her sides and back.

Comments for Dog has itching, sensitve skin with red rash on sides and back and chunks of hair coming out

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has itching, sensitive skin with red rash on sides and back and chunks of hair coming out

Hi Leesa,
Without a photo it will be difficult to give you a diagnosis. But from your description, I am VERY suspicious that it is due to flea allergy.

"My pug has been itching a lot for the last couple of months"... and was sensitive to my petting her on her sides.... She has chunks of hair coming out with little nubs at the bottom of the hairs, very red-rashed skin on her sides and back."

Even if you have NOT seen any fleas, if a flea jumped on her, bit her, and then jumped off (and if she is allergic to flea saliva), then she will begin itching and scratching, her skin will be red and the hair will fall out. And you will NOT see any fleas!

I suggest you click here to check our page on Dog Flea Treatment.

You will need to get rid of fleas on your dog, in your house, AND in the yard! Use DAWN dish detergent to shampoo your dog, rinse well, then follow with an oatmeal shampoo. Use the Oatmeal shampoo one to two times per week. Use the DAWN dish detergent ONLY ONCE a month (more often that that will dry out her skin too much).

Use EVOLV on her every day or every other day. It's a natural flea/tick preventive made from cedar oil.

No more vaccinations. See info from Current Veterinary Therapy XI, Annual Vaccinations. You will need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

No DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a RAW dog food for her. Or at least a good quality canned food, with no preservatives, no artificial colors and no by-products!

You may need to add some immune support supplements to her diet. But I suggest starting with all of the above first, and see how she does. Some Immune Support supplements:

For Immuplex, open and sprinkle in one capsule to each meal, two times daily.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has itching, sensitive skin with red rash on sides and back and chunks of hair coming out PART TWO

Hi Leesa,
Here is the rest of my response.