Dog Has Drooping Eye

by Margaret Oritz
(Livermore, CA)

My dog has a drooping right eye. There is no pus or blood. There is something white that is starting to cover his eye from the bottom. What is his condition?

He is a 72 pound 13 year old male pit bull shepherd mix.

Comments for Dog Has Drooping Eye

My Online Vet Response for Dog has Drooping Eye

Hi Margaret,
Your dog has what is called 'Horner's Syndrome'. The three main symptoms in the dog include drooping of the lower eyelid, raised third eyelid and a small pupil. I cannot tell from the photo if the right pupil is smaller than the left, but if it is, then that would confirm it.

This condition is not painful. It is caused by a disruption in the sympathetic nerve chain that travels from the brain, down the neck and into the chest. This may be due to trauma, infection or canine tumor. Since there has been no history of trauma or infection (no pus or blood), then I would be concerned about the development of a tumor.

I would advise a complete workup to include blood panel (plus heartworm test and thyroid) and a chest and neck x-ray. Preferably seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to help you with alternative treatments, good nutrition, supplements, homeopathic remedies, etc.

Under no circumstances should you give him any vaccinations, not even RABIES! A holistic veterinarian can help with an exemption form to stop vaccinating him.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

update
by: Margaret

Took Monty to vet, confirmed it is Horners Disease and vet prescribed antibiotic pills and eye drops. He also took a blood panel. Doc says he will be fine.

Hi Margaret,
Thank you for the update. Hopefully what your veterinarian has prescribed will help Monty.

Eye tumor and drooping eye lids NEW
by: Catherine S.

My Black Labrador, Bird, 13 years old, might have an eye tumor. The vet gave us some antibiotic drops and wants to see him again in 2 weeks, sonner if the eye changes. She did not about the drooping lids as in his case the condition comes and goes suddently. It usually lasts only a few hours to a whole day. (I have pictures if needed)
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has Drooping Eye NEW

Hi Katherine,
For Bird:
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).