Dog Has Constantly Watering Eyes

My Chihuahua mix has constantly watering eyes. I can't find a scratch or other irritation but they've been worse in the last couple of days and it looks like his skin is becoming red and irritated.

He has been rubbing his left eye more today.

What is your recommended treatment?

Comments for Dog Has Constantly Watering Eyes

My Online Vet Response For: Dog has Constantly Watering Eyes

Hello,
Regarding your Chihuahua mix dog that has constantly watering eyes and the inner corner is irritated from constant drainage, you asked,
"What is your recommended treatment?"

Treatment would depend on the cause. Possible causes can be due to allergies:

1. Environmental -- smoke, such as cigarette/cigar smoke, dust or pollen

2. Food -- dry dog food or too much grain in food, or a protein ingredient such as egg, dairy or fish.

3. Irritant -- such as soap or shampoo, smoke or dust

...Or clogged tear ducts
...Or due to chronic disease secondary to too many vaccinations.

I am unable to determine the cause from the photo you sent, so I would suggest that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a more in-depth work-up, and by providing more background information, you will be able to help your little dog!

Watery eyes

After doing some online research, I bought the Costco brand dog food. His eyes still water but not as much. I'm not sure if that's a result of the change of food or other factors.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has constantly watering eyes

Hello,
Hopefully, you chose the Costco brand CANNED food. Although, I do not recommend Costco brand at all.

There are many other healthier brands available. See our page on 10 Best Dog food options. And consider a RAW diet for your dog such as BRAVO! Primal, Aunt Jeni's, etc..