Dog Has Cloudy Film Over Both Eyes

by Carl

My dog has developed what looks like a cloudy film over both eyes. My vet says it is a fatty deposit due to eating "people food". She says it has obstructed her sight but she can "see around it."

She says it will not get worse if I stop giving her table food. She says it will not get better no matter what is done.

My dog is a Sheltie, 28 pounds, 10 years old.

Is my veterinarian correct?

Thank you,

Comments for Dog Has Cloudy Film Over Both Eyes

My Online Vet Response for Dog Has Cloudy Film over Both Eyes

Hi Carl,
You did not submit a photo, so I am not sure if you are referring to a cloudiness of the cornea or of the lens. There is a condition in dogs called lipidosis of the cornea, but it has an underlying condition, either hereditary, or a disease such as Cushings, Hypothyroidism or other systemic disease. Finding out if something else is wrong, and correcting that, would be the first step to reversing the condition in the eye.

Certainly, making sure your dog is on a balanced diet would be the first step (see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options). Maintaining a healthy weight for your dog, with lots of exercise, and fresh air, checking for parasites in the stool and for heartworm in the blood. (This is done with a blood test. And if a blood sample is taken, it would be a good idea to do a Total Canine Panel plus thyroid and add on the heartworm test.)

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be a good idea, to ensure your dog gets the best help and treatment and a second opinion.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: