Dog has bumps on nose

by Destiny Zufelt
(Mesquite, NV, US)

Three or four pink bumps appeared on my dog's nose a few weeks ago that over time has gotten bigger. Could it be a pimple or an abscess? It looks like puss may have come out at one point, but I'm really not sure. I'm not sure how to get rid of it, or if it's harmful.

Please let me know what you think.

Comments for Dog has bumps on nose

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has bumps on nose

Hi Destiny,
Your photo is a bit dark, but what I can make out, I am suspicious of a condition called 'Puppy Pyoderma'. It is caused by bacteria in the hair follicles, usually Staph bacteria, that create large pimple type lesions across the face, nose, forehead, and even under the ear flaps in young dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years, when they still have an immature immune system.

It is usually accompanied by swollen mandibular lymph nodes, and sometimes a fever. This condition can occur after a vaccination has stimulated the immune system, or some other stress, such as surgery for a neuter or spay.

In a mild case such as your puppy, I would advise improving the immune system, by better nutrition. NO DRY DOG FOOD! See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

Other ways to improve the immune system would be immune system supplements, such as Immuplex from Standard Process. Give 1/4- 1/2 the 'human' dose two times daily for 3-6 weeks.

You can also try:

If there is no improvement, or this condition is getting worse, then please consult with a holistic veterinarian.

max

He ended up being fine right?
From mom

My Online Vet Response for: Dog has Bumps on Nose

November 4, 2013

Hi Max,
Destiny posted that question in January 2012, and has not sent an update. I do not know how her dog is doing.

Thanks for asking!